No matter what time of year it is, my mother has to bundle up in a blanket. There have been summer nights when my father and I have been in shorts, and she starts building a fire in our wood stove. I have to agree, though, that even without being as cold-natured as she is, there is just something about curling up in a blanket that makes you feel like you’re home. Afghan and throw patterns are a year-round feature of our house, and if you’re the same way or want to get a jump on some winter crafting, put these crochet blanket patterns at the top of your to-do list. Granny square patterns are my favorite way to put together an afghan. The squares are crafted as individual pieces of art, yet they all combine to make a bigger and better piece. Even though they all use the same central idea, each is unique and different, with every pattern bringing its own personality to the table.
Here are my favorites of the newest and easiest granny square patterns—five squared of them, to be exact.
25 Crochet Granny Square Patterns
Flower Granny Squares
It’s only logical to turn a magic ring center into a blooming, bursting flower, which is exactly what these granny squares do. Your life may not always be a bed of roses, but an afghan of flower granny squares can be there to help you pretend on those tough days.
- Water Lily Crochet Granny Square Pattern
- Hexagon Framed Flower Square
- Cathedral Window Crochet Square
- Darling Daisy Crochet Baby Blanket
- Popcorn Flower Afghan Square
- Bursting with Lace Afghan Square
- Spring Granny Square Crochet Pattern
Need a quick refresher on how to crochet the magic ring? Pop over to see this handy video, Crochet Magic Ring – Adjustable Ring Tutorial.
Geometric patterns and granny squares go together like Taylor Swift and her gal squad—when you get them together, there’s just no stopping them (and who would want to?). These patterns create mesmerizing designs that take your crochet blanket pattern to a whole new level.
- Linen Stitch Manghan Pattern
- Iced Pie Crochet Squares
- Linen Stitch Granny Square
- Pretty in Camo Crochet Blanket
- Cute and Colorful Granny Square Afghan
- Large and Dizzy Crochet Granny Square
Holiday Themed Crochet Square Patterns
It is never too early to start working up holiday patterns, even if it feels a little weird to begin in the summer! I never plan soon enough and am always scrambling at the end to get presents or decorations ready—don’t be like me. These 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas themed granny squares are all great ways to prepare for festive times ahead. 4th of July, specifically, is right around the corner, and evenings can still get a little chilly, especially in the north. Even when the weather doesn’t require a light blanket, however, bringing an afghan to watch fireworks is a great idea. Some of my fondest memories are of spreading out a blanket and looking up in awe at the show.
- Spooky Crochet Skull Pattern
- Scary Granny Square
- Nightmare Square
- Spider Web Square
- Witching Hour Square
- Gingerbread House Granny Square Crochet Blanket
- Magic Poinsettia Granny Square Pattern
- Christmas Wreath Throw
- Candy Cane Square
And for MORE easy crochet granny square patterns, check out It’s So Easy! 24 Easy Crochet Granny Square Patterns.
What other granny square themes do you have up your sleeve?
- Free Pattern Friday: Irish Lace Afghan from Yarnspirations - February 7, 2017
- 11+ Valentine’s Day Crochet Ideas to Fall in Love With - January 27, 2017
- 11 Whimsical Woodland Afghans - December 2, 2016