Last week, our craft editors attended the 2013 Winter Craft and Hobby Association Trade Show. Not only did we get to meet some amazing crafty celebs (scroll down to find out who!), we were also lucky enough to get a sneak peek at some of the new yarns that will be hitting the shelves later this year. A few of the major trends that we couldn’t help but notice are still trending are neon and sparkles; some new trends we were super excited to see include ruffles and faux fur. Read more about all of our favorite new yarns below, and scroll down for the celeb sightings!
- For those of you with little ones in your life, get ready for the most exciting new line of 2013: the Anne Geddes Baby collection (below). Available February 1, this line will include both solid and multicolored yarn in 19 different colors. If you’re tired of using the same classic pastel colors for all of your baby projects, then you’re in luck because this collection includes beautiful bold, vibrant colors including Bumblebee, Ladybug, and Grass.
- Yep, neon is still hot, and it’s better than ever this year. The Vivid collection (bottom right) is brand new this year, with 8 bright colors to choose from. This super bulky yarn will be available April 1, 2013.
- They’ve also added a few neon colors to the ever-popular Super Saver collection, including this multicolored option shown here: Day Glow (bottom left).
- Another popular super bulky collection to add neon to the mix is their Swerve collection. These new colors (below, top center) will be available May 15th.
- Although there are no new crochet thread colors on the horizon for 2013, Red Heart is excited to expand their promotional efforts for Aunt Lydia’s Crochet Thread. This premium quality crochet thread is available in both solid colors and metallics, and truly is a is a great product to use for a variety of projects including fashion accessories and home decor. It works especially well for wedding patterns, as well (as shown below).
- Available February 1, 2013, Filigree yarn (shown below, top left) is a unique yarn that can be worn alone (no knitting or crochet even necessary!), or crocheted with an edge. Seven colors will be available: Ivory, Tealy, Bordeaux, Toasted, Urban, Jubilee, and Imperial (shown below, bottom left).
- Red Heart’s Team Spirit line was so popular last year, they are not only adding three new colors (Red/White, Black/Gray, and Royal/White), but they’re also creating a Sashay Team Spirit line (below, top right). Available June 15, this will include the top ten original Team Spirit colors: Navy/Gold, Green/Gold, Purple/Gold, Gold/Black, Red/Grey, Red/Black, Orange/Navy, Navy/Grey, Burgundy/Gold, and Orange/Black.
- They’ve also decided to expand their Sashay line even more to now include Metallics, Sparkles, and Sequins (below, bottom right). These will all be available June 15, 2013.
- The four main trends they’ve identified for 2013 are ruffles, neon, fur, and chenille, and we’re totally okay with that! Check out their latest yarn products below including Starbella Artic, Reggae, Lash Lux – with and without sequins, City Life, and Deborah Norville Everyday yarn in neon (clockwise from left)
- In honor of Lion Brand’s 135th anniversary, they’re introducing a brand new collection in 2013 called Heartland. This collection of premium acrylic yarn features 24 classic colors in denim-inspired neutrals.
- Neon is definitely still trending, and so is faux fur; Lion Brand has decided to bring the two trends together and add neon colors to their already popular Fun Fur line. The six new colors can be seen below.
- Romance is another fur line that we’re absolutely obsessed with. This yarn literally feels like the super soft feathers. The yarn in this collection is meant to be a bit more upscale and luxurious, reminiscent of high-end fashion.
- Both of these faux fur collections include brights and neutrals. When worked together, these two color palettes can really come together nicely and complement each other in a unique manner.
- Lion Brand’s Imagine line of yarn is unique tube yarn that can be used to create a no-knit, no-crochet scarf in just a few easy steps.
- This was perhaps the most exciting revelation at CHA (for me personally, anyway): new Bonbon colors! I know Christmas was only a month ago, but these red and green Bonbons have got me counting down the days ’til Christmas 2013!
Although I did love the new Bonbons colors, the most exciting part of CHA for me had to have been the Lion Brand fashion show, Our World of Yarn: Fashions from Around the World. The show featured items that were designed and made by fashion students in the US and Europe. And oh yeah, I got to meet Vanna White! And if you’re wondering: yes, she is just as gorgeous and kind in person as she appears on TV.
Vanna isn’t the only celeb I met at CHA. Check out who else I met (clockwise from top left): AllFreeCrochet’s very own contributor, Mary Vaughn from Crochet Chiq, and craft designers Jonathan Fong, and Mark Montano!
Which new yarn are you most excited to try in 2013? Leave a comment and let us know!
- CHA 2016: Lion Brand Fashion Show and More! - January 26, 2016
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 22, 2016
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Baby Booties & Hat from Red Heart - January 1, 2016