Crocheting and knitting is a great way to put your talent to use, especially when it’s going to someone in need. Every year there are over 3,000 babies born at NCH and each baby goes home with a handmade crochet baby hat or knit hat. Whether the baby is preemie or full term, each baby gets a hat. It’s important to keep baby warm and healthy in their first adventure home! Baby hats are easy to make even for the beginner.
The charity drive will run from February 11 to March 11. Once you have completed your baby hat, you can ship it to the address listed below. You can make one hat or five hats; each hat is extremely appreciated. We will then hand-deliver your hats to Northwest Community Hospital. Before doing so, however, we will randomly select one (1) winner to be the recipient of a fabulous yarn prize package!
Enter to win this amazing yarn prize package from Bernat by donating a baby hat to AllFreeCrochet’s Cozy Hats for Cozy Babies Hat Drive!
Included in the Prize Package is yarn to make TWO different baby blankets:
*Bernat Baby Blanket:
- 2 Balls Baby Green 03230
- 3 Balls White 03005
- 2 Balls Baby Yellow 03615
*Sheep(ish) by Vickie Howell:
- 3 Balls Taupe(ish) 00011
- 2 Balls White(ish) 00004
- 1 ball Turquoise(ish) 00017
Enter to win this amazing yarn prize package, compliments of Bernat, by making a baby hat! Once your hat is complete, simply send it to us and we will take care of the rest!
When making your baby hat please follow these specifications:
- 3-ply baby yarn or 3 ply sock and sweater yarn MUST be used
- A size G hook MUST be used (if crocheting a hat)
- Size 6 or 7 knitting needles MUST be used (if knitting a hat)
- You can use any colors you wish, but NO yellow please. Yellow gives the appearance of jaundice.
- Make your hat simple and fit for a newborn. Bows or poms can be included if you wish.
- Hats must also come from a smoke free home.
- Optional Knit Pattern
- Optional Crochet Pattern
- Baby Hat Patterns on AllFreeCrochet
Please ship your completed baby hats to:
AllFreeCrochet Baby Hat Drive
3400 Dundee Rd #220
Northbrook, IL 60062
Please help spread the word about this amazing opportunity to craft a homemade baby hat for those tiny babies to go home in.
Will you be making a baby hat?
If so, leave a comment below and tell us about it!
- 21 Spooky Halloween Crochet Patterns For Your Home - August 26, 2015
- Cute-as-a-Button Crochet Baby Bib - August 25, 2015
- NEW! 10 Free Crochet Cowl Patterns Perfect for Fall - August 18, 2015