Welcome to Day 4 of our week-long celebration of I Love Yarn Day 2016 and another installment of Stitch & Unwind’s I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along! Today, we are so excited to share the next installment of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag.
Today, our friend Mary Beth Temple will be showing you how to complete the bottom right corner of the messenger bag. As seen below, this corner of the bag features another variation of the post stitch, but this one only uses two colors total. By placing post stitches in rows of single crochet, you’ll see a checkerboard pattern start to emerge.
The Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag is a wonderful way to learn various crochet techniques since the front of the bag features four distinct panels. This crochet along will help you expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary while still working with only one color of yarn at a time.
And now, without further ado, check out the fourth installment of the crochet along by watching this helpful step-by-step video tutorial:
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
Notes : Do not cut yarn at the end of each color row, float the colors up the side for later use. Dc counts as 1 dc.
With C, ch 23.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across. Change to MC, ch 3, turn. 21 dc
Row 2: Sk 1 dc, 3 dc in next dc, (ch 1, sk 3 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 4 times, sk 1 dc, dc in last dc. Change to B, ch 3, turn.
Row 3: Dc in first dc, (ch 1, sk 3 dc, dc in next ch-1 sp, tr in center dc in shell below ch-1 sp, covering the ch-1, dc in same ch-1 sp) 4 times, ch 1, sk 3 dc, 2 dc in last dc. Change to A, ch 3, turn.
Row 4: Sk 1 dc, (dc in next ch-1 sp, tr in center dc in shell below ch-1 sp, covering the ch-1, dc in same ch-1 sp, ch 1) 4 times, sk 1 dc, dc in last dc. Change to MC, ch 3, turn.
Rows 5 – 9: Rep Rows 3 – 4 twice then Row 3 once more, but keep color progression as MC, B, A, MC, B, A etc. At end of Row 9, change to C.
Row 10: Dc in next dc, dc in center dc in shell below ch-1 sp, (dc in each of next 3 dc, dc in center dc in shell below ch-1 sp) 4 times, dc in each of last 2 dc.
Edging: With C, sc around finished rectangle, working 3 sc in each corner.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see the progress you’ve made on your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag!
Don’t forget: if you missed any of the previous crochet along posts (Days 1-3), you can find them all here.
PLUS, don’t forget to enter our I Love Yarn Day giveaway by commenting below! One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books! You have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to check back throughout the week for more chances to win! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
Have you helped teach anyone to knit or crochet? Who?
Latest posts by Stitch&Unwind (see all)
- Literary Chic: 16 Patterns for Book Lovers - February 17, 2018
- Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive 2017: Final Count & Giveaway Winner! - January 16, 2018
- Sweater Season: Knit and Crochet Printable Patterns - January 11, 2018