Happy I Love Yarn Day!
Here at Stitch & Unwind, we are so excited to be celebrating this exciting day with you! We live and breathe all things fiber, so today is a great reason to come together, celebrate all the wonderful projects you can make with yarn, and #StitchItForward!
Plus, today is the last day of the I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along, so it’s time to bring all your hard work together and assemble the lovely Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag! And, it’s the LAST DAY to enter our wonderful giveaway, so be sure to scroll down and leave a comment. You could win a prize pack full of drool-worthy yarn goodies!
In case you missed it, you can find Days 1-5 of this week’s crochet along here.
Day 1 – Welcome to Stitch & Unwind’s I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along
Day 2 – Learn how to make the top left panel of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag
Day 3 – Learn how to make the bottom left panel of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag
Day 4 – Learn how to make the bottom right panel of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag
Day 5 – Learn how to make the top right panel of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag
Today, in honor of I Love Yarn Day, our friend Mary Beth Temple will be explaining how to stitch together all four panels of the messenger bag, as well as offer some insight regarding the bag’s assembly. The video will also explain why seaming is important, the proper way to construct the strap, whether or not you should line the bag, and what color you should choose for the bottom of the bag. You definitely do not want to miss this important installment!
The Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag is a wonderful way to learn various crochet techniques since the front of the bag features four distinct panels. This crochet along will help you expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary while still working with only one color of yarn at a time.
And now, without further ado, check out the sixth and final installment of the crochet along by watching this helpful step-by-step video tutorial:
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
Finishing and Assembly:
With MC, ch 11.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. 10 sc
Row 2: Sc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn.
Rep Row 2 for pattern until strap measures 80” (or desired length), end off. In the model shown I did a 20” section in Color A to make the MC yarn last longer but you can make it all solid if you invest in another skein of MC.
With MC, ch 55.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 3, turn. 54 sc
Row 2: Dc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc in each dc across. Ch 3, turn.
Rep Rows 2 – 3 for pattern until work measures 16” tall, ending with a Row 3. End off.
Rep all instructions for Back.
With MC, ch 55.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. 54 sc
Row 2: Sc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn.
Rep Row 2 for pattern until work measures 3”. End off.
With MC, sc 4 colorwork panels together in order shown in photo, or desired order.
With MC, with RS facing and starting in top right corner, work 1 rnd sc around assembled flap, working 3 sc in each corner.
With MC, work crab st along right side, bottom, and left side of flap. End off.
Sew beginning of strap/gusset to end of strap/gusset, being careful not to twist it.
Pin Back and Front to each side of Gusset, aligning color change section with bottom of bag if you made a 2-color gusset.
With RSs facing you each time and MC, sc Front and Back to Gusset, working 3 sc in each corner.
Pin Top Gusset into place with one long edge along top of Back and one long edge along top of Flap.
With RSs facing you each time, and MC, sc Top Gusset into place.
Weave in all ends.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see the progress you’ve made on your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag, as well as the finished product!
PLUS, LAST CHANCE! Don’t forget to enter our I Love Yarn Day giveaway! One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books! You have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to leave a comment before the contest ends tonight! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
What do you love most about knitting or crocheting?
Latest posts by Stitch&Unwind (see all)
- I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along: Recap & Winner Announcement - October 17, 2016
- I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along: Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag Part 6 - October 15, 2016
- I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along: Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag Part 5 - October 14, 2016