I’m Marie from Underground Crafter and I’m continuing a series of knitting stitches designed to help you take your knitting skills beyond the basics.
I’m sharing each stitch as an 6″ (15 cm) square. I’ll show you how to join them together into a decorative sampler pillow at the end of the series. If you can cast on, knit, purl, and bind off, you can make these!
This stitch is one I like to call Lattice Crust because it looks just like a tasty pie crust. If you don’t want to make a sampler pillow, you can use this stitch for many other great projects. I think Lattice Crust would look great as a knit bag!
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
The second square in our sampler combines knit and purl stitches to create a variation on the familiar basketweave pattern.
- Approximately 45 yd/41 m in any medium weight yarn. I used Cascade Superwash 220 in 1915 Banana Cream for the sample.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm straight needles, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished square = 6″ (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used In This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- The sl 1 at the beginning of each row and the p 1 at the end of each row creates a nice edge that makes it easier to join to squares together. If you’ve never slipped stitches before, it’s very straightforward. To sl 1 st, knitwise, just insert your needle into the first stitch as if you were going to knit and then slide the stitch onto the right needle.
- CO 32 sts (or any multiple of 8 sts, + 8 sts, + 8 sts for border).
- Row 1: Knit to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Rows 3 & 4: Rep Row 2 twice.
Lattice Crust stitch pattern
- Row 1: (RS): Sl 1, knit to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k6 *p2, k6. Rep from * to last st, p1.
- Row 3: Sl 1, k3, p3, *k2, p6. Rep from * to last 9 sts, k2, p3, k3, p1.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2.
- Row 5: Rep Row 1.
- Row 6: Sl 1, k10, *p2, k6. Rep from * to last 5 sts, k4, p1.
- Row 7: Sl 1, k3, p7, *k2, p6. Rep from * to last 5 sts, p1, k3, p1.
- Row 8: Rep Row 6.
- Row 9: Rep Row 1.
- Rep Rows 2-9 until square measures approximately 5.5 in (14 cm), ending after Row 5 or Row 9.
- Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 3 times the width of square) to use for joining squares later.
- Free Crochet Pattern: Hexagon Honeycomb Stroller Blanket - November 1, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: How To Block Your Crochet Projects - May 19, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: How To Weave in Yarn Tails - May 11, 2016