I’m Marie from Underground Crafter and I’m continuing a series of knitting stitches patterns that will help you take your knitting skills beyond the basics.
I’m sharing each stitch as an 6″ (15 cm) square so you can join them together into a decorative sampler pillow at the end of the series. If you can cast on, knit, purl, and bind off, you can make these!
This stitch is the Diagonal Rib. If you don’t want to make a sampler pillow, you can use this stitch for many other great projects. It would make a great infinity knit scarf and the texture would also make it a wonderful washcloth.
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
The third square in our sampler combines knit and purl stitches to create a traveling ribbing pattern.
- Approximately 45 yd/41 m in any medium weight yarn. I used Cascade Superwash 220 in 1915 Banana Cream for the sample.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm straight needles, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished square = 6″ (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used In This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- The sl 1 at the beginning of each row and the p 1 at the end of each row creates a nice edge that makes it easier to join to squares together. If you’ve never slipped stitches before, it’s very straightforward. To sl 1 st, knitwise, just insert your needle into the first stitch as if you were going to knit and then slide the stitch onto the right needle.
- CO 32 sts (or any multiple of 6 sts, + 8 sts for border).
- Row 1: Knit to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Rows 3 & 4: Rep Row 2 twice.
Diagonal Rib stitch pattern
- Row 1: (RS) Sl 1, k3, *p3, k3. Rep from * to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Row 2: Rep Row 1.
- Row 3: Sl 1, k3, p2, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 8 sts, (k3, p1) twice.
- Row 4: Sl 1, k4, p3, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 6 sts, k5, p1.
- Row 5: Sl 1, k3, p1, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 9 sts, k3, p2, k3, p1.
- Row 6: Sl 1, k5, p3, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 5 sts, k4, p1.
- Row 7: Sl 1, k3, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Row 8: Rep Row 7.
- Row 9: Sl 1, k5, *p3, k3. Rep from * to last 2 sts, k1, p1.
- Row 10: Sl 1, k3, p1, k3, *p3, k3. Rep from* to last 6 sts, p2, k3, p1.
- Row 11: Sl 1, k4, *p3, k3. Rep from * to last 3 sts, k2, p1.
- Row 12: Sl 1, k3, p2, *k3, p3. Rep from * to last 8 sts, (k3, p1) twice.
- Rep Rows 1-12 until square measures approximately 5.5 in (14 cm), ending after any row.
- Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 3 times the width of square) to use for joining squares later.
What’s your favorite knitting stitch?
- Tips and Techniques: How To Block Your Crochet Projects - May 19, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: How To Weave in Yarn Tails - May 11, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: Learning to Read Crochet Patterns - April 25, 2016