By knitting or crocheting a shawl for someone in need, you will be helping to provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls often provide the patient warmth and a sense of an embrace when they need it most. Something so simple, is often the brightest thing that has happened for the patient in some time, as many have often driven from great distances and have nothing comforting from home with them.
We visited Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Ill. to learn more about this wonderful cause. Check out a video below to learn more about Prayer Shawls at Rush including who gets the donated shawls, and how you can help:
How you can you help:
This is the part we know you’ll enjoy… either knit or crochet a shawl and send it our way. As you’re working, think warm thoughts or say your favorite prayer. Your hard work will have a comforting effect on the recipient because your prayers and thoughts of healing are woven into the fibers of the shawl.
Knit or Crochet Shawl Requirements:
- We aren’t requiring a certain size, color or shape. Just make sure that the shawl is big enough to wrap around the shoulders of someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or laying in a hospital bed. Men and women will receive these shawls, so keep that in mind if you’re stuck for color choices.
- Do your best to avoid wool and other exotic yarns, as these may cause allergic reactions. Cotton and acrylic yarns are recommended.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you’re from.
Our friends Marie Segares and Jessica Anderson have generously donated two exclusive full patterns that will work beautifully for this charity drive. Of course, you can do any pattern you’d like – but just in case you needed a little extra inspiration, check out these two wonderful knit and crochet prayer shawls.
Be sure to also check out AllFreeCrochet’s free eBook, Free Crochet Prayer Shawls, for even more free pattern inspiration!
Crochet Prayer Shawl Pattern
This crochet prayer shawl by Marie Segares features an easy to memorize stitch repeat, so you’ll be able to concentrate on the healing thoughts as you work. Choose any color combination you think would be a comfort to the recipient. The rectangular shape makes this an easy to customize shawl, too.
Knit Prayer Shawl Pattern
Written by Jessica Anderson, this knit prayer shawl pattern features a triangular shape that works up quickly. If you use a self striping yarn, the pattern is lively and fun. The unique sections of textural stitches not only add interest, they also give you a chance to change up your thoughts, thus weaving more than one good vibe into the fibers of the shawl.
Where to Send Them:
We will be collecting all donated shawls at our offices in Northbrook, IL and personally delivering them to Rush Medical Center in Chicago, IL. Please have your handmade prayer shawls delivered to:
Prime Publishing, LLC
Attn: Prayer Shawls for Charity
3400 Dundee Road, Suite 220
Northbrook, IL 60062
Shawls need to be postmarked no later than October 5th, 2015.
What’s In It For YOU?
Of course, you’ll get that wonderful feeling of by donating something to charity and helping someone in need. But we’re also offering an exciting prize donated by our friends at Red Heart Yarns, a giveaway worth more than $100! Send us a homemade prayer shawl, either knit or crochet, and you’ll be automatically entered to this fabulous gift pack.
We really couldn’t have made this easier. Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is to put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
- Please include your name, address, phone number and email address with your donation for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only.
- No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the Red Heart Gift Basket? Just send us a note to our postal address above with your name and address.
Share your favorite comforting quote or thought below, we’d like to share them with everyone!
- Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive 2016: Final Count & Giveaway Winner! - January 9, 2017
- Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive 2016: Last Chance! - December 5, 2016
- Cyber Monday: Delicious Yarn and Book Bundle Giveaway + Crochet Snowflake Blanket Pattern - November 28, 2016