If you haven’t yet sent in your knit or crochet prayer shawl for our Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive, you have two weeks left to get it to us! The closing date of this charity drive is October 5. Below you can see just a few of the gorgeous shawls we’ve already received! Thanks to everyone who’s sent one (or more!) in so far.
Knit or Crochet Shawl Requirements:
- We aren’t requiring a certain size, color or shape. Just make sure that the shawl is big enough to wrap around the shoulders of someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or laying in a hospital bed. Men and women will receive these shawls, so keep that in mind if you’re stuck for color choices.
- Do your best to avoid wool and other exotic yarns, as these may cause allergic reactions. Cotton and acrylic yarns are recommended.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you’re from.
If you’re stuck for ideas, our friend Marie Segares has generously donated this crochet prayer shawl pattern, and Jessica Anderson has contributed this knit prayer shawl pattern just for this event! If you’d like a little more inspiration, check out the free patterns in our eBook, Free Crochet Prayer Shawls.
Plus, in addition to the warm feelings that come with helping someone in need, if you send in a knit or crochet prayer shawl you’ll automatically be entered to win an exciting prize donated by our friends at Red Heart Yarns!
Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is to put a slip of paper/card/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
- Please include your name, address, phone number and email address with your donation for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only.
- No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the Red Heart Gift Basket? Just send us a note to our postal address above with your name and address.
- Rest and Relaxation After Holiday Madness: Calming Crochet Patterns - January 5, 2018
- 10 Thrifty Christmas Gifts to Crochet - December 1, 2017
- Easy Patterns to Take on the Go - November 7, 2017