I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter and it’s no secret that I love granny squares.
May and June are filled with graduations and family activities, and I love to bring portable crochet projects along with me. Individual granny squares are great because I can fit all the supplies right in my purse. Today, I’m sharing a granny square pattern that is ideal for using up small bits of yarn left over from other projects. Although my sample uses 3 different colors, you can use as many as 6 for your version!
Summer Marigold Granny Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6” (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 108 Bluebell (CA), 157 Duckie (CB), and 132 Goldfish (CC), or approximately 15 yds (14 m) in each of 3 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- beg-cl – beginning cluster (see Special Stitch Patterns)
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster (see Special Stitch Patterns)
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisk as indicated.
Special Stitch Patterns
- beg-cl = cluster = Ch 2, (yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops.
- cl = cluster = (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 4 times, yo and draw through all 5 loops.
- With CA, ch 4, sk 3 ch, sl st in first ch to join into circle.
- Rnd 1: Beg-cl in ring, (ch 3, cl in ring) 5 times, ch 3, join with sl st to beg-cl. Fasten off CA. (6 sts + 6 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 2: Turn, join CB with sl st in any ch-3 sp, ch 1, starting in same sp (3 sc in next ch-3 sp, 2 sc in next cl) around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (30 sts)
- Rnd 3: Join CC with sl st to any st, ch 1, starting in same st *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around, join with st sl to top of first sc. Fasten off CC. (40 sts)
- Rnd 4: Join CB with sl st to BL of any st, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in same st, *dcBL in next 9 sts,** (2 dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CB. (52 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Join CA with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 5 (counts as dc + ch-2 sp), dc in same sp, *(dc, ch 1, sk 1 st) 6 times, dc in next st,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (60 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6: Join CB with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, (dc in ch-1 sp, sk 1 st, ch 1) 5 times, dc in ch-1 sp and in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off CB. (76 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails.
If you enjoy this square, check out my other patterns on Ravelry!
Enter to win Lion Brand Ice Cream Yarn! One lucky winner will win 2 skeins of Ice Cream Yarn in “Lemon Swirl.” The deadline to enter is May 17, 2015 at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern time. Head over to AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com to enter.
Share Below: What do you love most about granny squares?
- Free Crochet Pattern: Hexagon Honeycomb Stroller Blanket - November 1, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: How To Block Your Crochet Projects - May 19, 2016
- Tips and Techniques: How To Weave in Yarn Tails - May 11, 2016