Skinny jeans may get all the press, but oversized crochet patterns are definitely worth a look this winter. We’re talking about sweaters, cardigans, scarves, and more that you will find are anything but form-fitting. Picture flowing ponchos, scarves that can almost be mistaken for blankets, and sweaters with plenty of arm room, and you’ve got the idea.
So why would you want to make (deliberately, we might add) a super scarf or oversized cardigan? It’s all about warmth and layers, baby. These crochet oversized patterns are amazing, as they offer enough room for you to add on the extra layers on a cold winter’s morning without piling on too many bulky materials. With this style, a sweater that barely fits is out and extra space to move around is in.
Here’s what fashionistas can expect with this style of design. Super scarves can be wrapped around your neck over, and over, and over, or simply draped around your shoulder. Shawls in this style can almost double as dresses (if you’d like, just cinch with a belt for a different look). Don’t forget the chunky oversized sweater design, which will add plenty of insulation while perhaps hiding those last pesky holiday pounds. Just think baggy when it comes to this delightful crochet trend! And whether you’re working with worsted weight yarn or bulky yarn, make sure you choose the right crochet hook for the job!
Crocheters planning to start a project for a loved one will also love the oversized trend. You won’t need the recipient’s exact dimensions to create a custom fit for a sweater or shawl; simply make your best guess, then add on extra rows or crochet stitches to create the look. Your family and friends will love shrugging on an oversized crochet sweater or getting wrapped up in a shawl that offers more than a little wiggle room in size.
Feel like adding more of these oversized crochet patterns to your wardrobe? Then keep reading. At AllFreeCrochet, you can find additional wraps, shawls, and other larger cold weather items that will offer plenty of room.
Oversized Crochet Patterns for Scarves and Wraps You’ll Love
- “A Wavy Shade of Winter” Super Scarf — The different shades of blue give this scarf the perfect look for winter
- Dandy Super Scarf —Beat the winter blahs with this colorful super scarf
- Go with The Flow Super Scarf —Add style to your winter gear with this oversized crochet pattern for a beautiful super scarf
- Foggy Crochet Super Scarf — We think this pattern looks so cozy!
- Big Blue Crochet Scarf — Perfect for beginners!
- Simply Soft Afternoon Wrap — You’ll look so stylish running errands in this wrap
- Hooded Blanket Wrap — Incorporate your team’s colors in this design
Oversized Ponchos, Shawls, and Other Delights
- Queen Elizabeth Poncho — Regal and stylish, this poncho is fit for a queen
- Oversized Lean Poncho — The edges on this shawl are so pretty
- Cozy Tweed Crochet Poncho — We love the neckline in this elegant poncho
- Ridiculously Easy Poncho Pattern — It’s all in the name!
- Perfectly Elegant Shawl — Can’t wait to get bundled up in this shawl
- Oversized Crochet Stole — So easy and stylish!
- Coraline in Minden Oversized Cowl Wrap — This pattern will keep your head warm, too
- Back to Scotland Crochet Cowl — Add some dramatic flair to your day with the cowl
- Extra Long Infinity Cowl — You’ll love this quick and easy pattern
- Luscious Long Wristers — Keep those wrists and arms warm this winter, too
What is your favorite oversized crochet pattern?
- Fingerless Gloves: 21 Easy Crochet Patterns - September 14, 2019
- Textures! Southwestern Rainbow Crochet Afghan Pattern - September 6, 2019
- NEW! 10 Free Crochet Cowl Patterns Perfect for Fall - September 3, 2019