I’m always on the hunt for a free crochet afghan pattern that is different that anything else I have seen before. Lately, I have been drawn to designs that lean more to the modern contemporary vibe.
From the simple colors to the clean lines, these designs are different enough to keep my attention while I work. I find that with these cleaner designs, combined with the colors and stitches chosen, that the simplicity of the design becomes fresh, modern and a nice focal point in any decor.
I’ve also found that these more modern and contemporary afghan patterns make wonderful gifts to make for the men in your life. The simple designs will appeal to them, as well as a more subdued color palette.
Traditional Designs Made Modern
While these designs might be something that our grandmothers worked up, by switching up the more traditional colors and stitches, these crochet afghan patterns become new and appealing once again. Any of these designs can be made to match our more modern decors and in any color scheme, so one is sure to look fabulous with your decor.
- Ridiculously Easy Sawtooth Crochet Afghan from Bernat
- Contemporary Zig Zag Throw
- Modern Crochet Ripple Pattern
- Modern Wedding Ring Throw from Bernat
- Winter Flowers Afghan
Modern Crochet Designs for Everyone
These designs are some of our favorite modern free crochet afghan patterns. They are clean, simple, easy to work and blend well with so many decors. Any of these designs would look fabulous worked up in monochromatic color palettes. The designs are just different enough to intriguing and they’re sure to catch the eye of all who see them. You are going to have such fun working them up.
- Square Upon Square Throw
- Contemporary Granny Ripple Throw
- Contemporary Stash Busting Blocks Throw from Red Heart Yarn
- Contemporary Plaid Crochet Afghan Pattern
- 16-Circles Square
- Modern Houndstooth Patchwork Blanket
Which design are you excited to try?
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 17, 2021
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Baby Booties & Hat from Red Heart - January 6, 2021
- Rest and Relaxation After Holiday Madness: Calming Crochet Patterns - January 5, 2021