Are you a fan of teaching others? Do you love spending your afternoons crocheting and knitting your heart away? Well, now that your kids are heading off to school, so should you! Join the thousands of other crochet creators and knitting newbies who’ve gained the knowledge and confidence to teach others through the Craft Yarn Council’s Certified Instructor’s Program.
Gather up your knitting and crocheting supplies and get ready to rule the school! The Certified Instructor’s Program helps people with the basic tools to share their passion for knit and crochet with others and to “stitch it forward.” Not only does this program give many benefits to students, but they also gain exclusive access to the closed CIP Student and Graduate Facebook page, where they can collaborate with other CIP students and graduates.
After more than 30 years of this program, over 15,000 students have completed the course and gone on to teach in retail stores, adult education programs and to share their knowledge with friends and family. Students work with a nationally recognized Master Teacher and complete teaching hours to prove their proficiency.
If you’re new to the knitting/crocheting world, don’t be intimidated. There are so many beginner patterns and tutorials that will help reach your full potential!
What You’ll Need: Supply List
Just like sending your kids off to school with a fresh new pack of supplies, you’ll want to make sure you have the necessities when attending your first day of crochet class. The most important item is a pair of needles. You can’t do much unless you have these handy dandy wooden sticks! Along with yarn needles, you’ll want to have some crochet hooks so you can fix stitches and weave in ends. These suckers will sure come in handy when creating your first patterns. If you’re looking for a full supply list, print out this helpful beginner’s supply list to make sure you have the necessary knitting tools you need on your first day of class.
Beginner Projects: Easy Crochet and Knitting Patterns
Right now you may be thinking, “how in the world am I going to make a scarf by myself?” But, there are so many fun projects you can create all on your own as long as you have the tools stated above. From scarves to sweaters, you’ll be knitting and crocheting your fingers away! Once you’ve chosen your pattern, the technique is all in the hands. As Dory would say, just keep stitching! There’s nothing better than giving your loved ones a homemade knitted blanket or crocheted pillow. You can customize your creations by choosing your own colors, weaving patterns and size. Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. The only way to learn how to crochet and knit is to practice, practice, practice!
- Short Fingerless Gloves
- Moonstone Beginner Vest Pattern
- Beginner Eiffel Knit Cowl
- Berry Beautiful Seed Stitch Hat
- Beginner Purple Shaw
- Wonderfully Warm Crochet Scarf
- Beginner Squares Afghan
- Sprinkle Crochet Potholders
- 5 Minute Daisy Crochet Flower
- Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf
- Two Hour Fingerless Gloves
- How to Knit the Basket Weave Stitch
- One Skein Knit Leg Warmers
- Easy Two Needle Children’s Mittens
- Beginner Lace Stripe Scarf
So… What are you waiting for?
Now is your chance to go back to school and take a class that you’ve always wanted to take. Here is a quick recap of this amazing program:
- It’s offered via correspondence and occasionally as an on-site course
- The correspondence course is divided into Level I and Level II
- Students have six months to complete each level of the correspondence program
- For the on-site course, there are 15 hours of class time held over a series of days at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York and the curriculum covers both levels.
It’s not too late! Make sure to apply and register for you knitting/crocheting class to learn new skills and discover your new hobby!
- 17 Easy Crochet Patterns for Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Gifts - January 25, 2022
- Free Pattern: Knit Beanie Pattern from Red Heart - January 24, 2022
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 14, 2022