The Catherine Wheel stitch is such a unique stitch that creates little crochet stitch pinwheels throughout your work. It’s a stitch that lets you practice increasing and decreasing and looks great in multiple colors or as a solid shade. Since it uses such basic crochet stitches, it’s actually pretty easy to learn, despite its complicated appearance.
I know when I first gave this pattern a shot, I was prepared to have to try countless times to get it right, but I mastered this stitch pretty quickly. Of course, when I tried this out I was only using one color, so I didn’t have to deal with any color changes… but the point still stands. The Catherine Wheel stitch is a gorgeous and intimidating stitch that’s much easier than it looks.
When I worked this up, I only used one color so although the stitch looked great, it was still just one color and, honestly, a little plain. The Catherine Wheel stitch is one that, I think at least, looks so great when worked up in multiple colors. Especially bright colors.
To prove my point, I dug around for some of the best patterns on AllFreeCrochet (and some from our friends at AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns) that demonstrate just how striking this stitch can be. There’s also a how-to video tutorial that shows you just how it’s done. Plus, our friend Rhondda from Oombawka Designs created a full written tutorial that makes it easy to learn as well. Check out her Catherine Wheel Crochet Stitch Instructions here.
Crazy for the Catherine Wheel
- How to Crochet the Catherine Wheel
- How to Crochet the Catherine Wheel Video Tutorial
- Catherine Wrist Warmers
- Catherine Cowl
- Catherine Wheel Tissue Box Holder
- Cartwheel-Worthy Placemat
- Vibrant Catherine Wheel Afghan
- Crochet Catherine Wheel Hat
- Beautiful Bright Catherine’s Wheel Throw
… plus some from our friends at AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns
- Catherine Wheel Stitch Afghan Square
- Marvelous Meadow Crochet Granny Square
- 16 Circles Square
- Breaking Bad Afghan
- Ancient Mariner Wheel Stitch Lapghan
What’s your favorite intricate stitch?
- For the Love of Granny Squares: 27 New Crochet Granny Square Afghans - August 23, 2019
- 14 Crocodile Stitch Patterns for an EDGY Wardrobe - August 17, 2019
- These Booties Were Made for Walking: 15 Baby Booties Crochet Patterns - August 13, 2019