Happy fall! When I was off in school and getting my bachelor’s degree, we had free tickets to our weekly football games, so I would make myself go every Saturday while I was there. Being a fan meant dragging myself out of bed at 11:00 in the morning for those early games and out at 6:30 at night for our late-night games under the lights. I sleepily cheered on those early (back then) mornings and would shiver in my hoodie for all the night games, and I loved every minute of it.
What really helped me get in the mood for sitting around outside in the fall and early winter and actually enjoy it was bringing along my favorite gameday blanket. Made with cozy, bulky yarn, my gameday blanket featured a striped crochet design in my team’s colors. It wasn’t as big as a full-sized afghan, but my little crochet lapghan was the perfect size to drape over my lap to keep my hands free from cheering, but it was also perfect to use as a larger wrap to snuggle into for those colder late-October night games. And, because my mom had hand-crocheted it in machine-washable acrylic yarn, it was durable enough to handle tailgates and the like. Plus, because it was so durable and my colors, it doubled as an extra house blanket during the winter, when the radiator heat took its sweet time to kick in.
Gameday afghans are the perfect back-to-school crochet gift, and your recipient will absolutely love it! You can really choose whatever stitch pattern you want so long as you feature the team colors. Choose the school’s main color, or go with a striped crochet blanket pattern to feature your team’s gameday colors.
AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com has gathered our favorite crochet gameday afghan patterns for you, and whether you choose to make a striped and spirited crochet blanket or simply one in a solid color, these crochet afghan patterns are perfect for gameday and beyond.
8 Crochet Afghan Patterns for Gameday
- Stadium Crochet Lapghan – Not your average striped crochet blanket pattern!
- Stadium Blanket Crochet Pattern – Our favorite!
- Bold Stripes Afghan
- Striped Wrap Around Throw – Doubles as an oversized wrap for night games!
- Manly Sports Lapghan – Not just for men
- Quick as a Whip Afghan – Add a bit of a lacy pattern to your striped blankets
- Herringbone Stripe Afghan
- Quick and Simple Afghan – Bulky yarn and a single color make this a quick and cozy project
BONUS – This one isn’t exactly a game day afghan, but this Composition Book Coverlet pattern is also a fantastic crochet blanket pattern for your college-bound loved one.
What are/were your school’s team colors? Let us know below in the comments!
- 11 Whimsical Woodland Afghans - December 3, 2019
- 12 Patchwork Patterns - November 23, 2019
- Afghans for All Occasions: Our Top 5 Crochet Afghan Collections - November 17, 2019