On February 11, 2013 AllFreeCrochet had a “tiny” announcement. They are hosting a charity drive with the help of Bernat. Anyone that wants to participate, can! All you need to do is knit or crochet a newborn hat for the Labor and Delivery unit at Northwest Community Hospital and automatically you’ll be entered to win a prize.
Crocheting and knitting is a great way to put your talent to use, especially when it’s going to someone in need. Every year there are over 3,000 babies born at NCH and each baby goes home with a handmade crochet baby hat or knit hat. This is a great way to keep baby nice and warm during their first adventure home.
What is the prize you ask?
*Bernat Baby Blanket:
- 2 Balls Baby Green 03230
- 3 Balls White 03005
- 2 Balls Baby Yellow 03615
*Sheep(ish) by Vickie Howell:
- 3 Balls Taupe(ish) 00011
- 2 Balls White(ish) 00004
- 1 ball Turquoise(ish) 00017
When making your baby hat please follow these specifications:
- 3-ply baby yarn MUST be used
- A size G hook MUST be used (if crocheting a hat)
- Size 6 or 7 knitting needles MUST be used (if knitting a hat)
- You can use any colors you wish, but NO yellow please. Yellow gives the appearance of jaundice.
- Make your hat simple and fit for a newborn. Bows or poms can be included if you wish.
- Hats must come from a smoke free home.
- Optional Knit Pattern
- Optional Crochet Pattern
- Baby Hat Patterns on AllFreeCrochet
To date we have: over 700 donated hats!
To donate your hats just send them to the address provided:
AllFreeCrochet Baby Hat Drive
3400 Dundee Rd #220
Northbrook, IL 60062
If you are kind enough to participate then please read the specifications (or see above) for the baby hats. **It seems that some are not using baby yarn and the hats are very rough. It is VERY important that you use the softest baby yarn** This charity drive goes until March 11, 2013. March 11 is the LAST DAY to make a hat, so we will allow one week for you to ship them to us after that date. Grab your hook and let’s go!
What colors are you planning on working with?