I know, I know. Christmas? Really? In July? It’s warm and balmy and sunny out there—why on Earth would we want to be thinking about Christmas? And crochet afghan patterns? Have you looked at a thermometer lately?
Well, the truth is, this year is already more than halfway over, and Christmas is only 158 days away!
For those of us that love Christmas and find every part of the celebration wonderful, we are antsy for some Christmas music and a warm cup of hot cocoa next to a cozy fire. But even if you are not cheery for the holidays, you might need to start thinking about December and everything it brings.
I need Crochet Christmas in July. Otherwise, I know I will just put off the present-making process until it’s too late. I will be rushing at the last minute to get my Christmas crochet patterns done, or maybe I won’t finish at all. I also know that my Christmas-presents-to-get list continues to expand as my family members grow older, get married, and have babies (yay!). This means if I am to make presents for each of them, I need to start soon… meaning, now.
This list of crochet afghan patterns will help jump-start your holiday preparations, bringing you adorable ideas for everyone on your list. I know that I would love to receive a crochet Christmas afghan as a holiday gift, because who doesn’t love a present they can snuggle with? Plus, a lot of these are gorgeous even outside of the holiday season, so they will be useful all the year round.
Crochet Motif Afghan Patterns
I think if I only get to make one afghan for this holiday season, it will be from this crochet motif afghan section. There are so many great options. Some of these patterns scream Christmas, with decorated trees and wreaths galore, and others simply have a nice holiday design with red, green, or white. I love how mesmerizing the repeating motifs are!
- Classic Tree Holiday Afghan
- Vintage Christmas Poinsettia Throw
- Falling Snowflakes Afghan
- Christmas Sweetheart Afghan
- Snowflake Afghan
- Winter Wonderland Afghan and Pillow
- Austrian Sleigh Crochet Afghan
- Christmas Star Crochet Throw
- Peppermint Bliss Throw and Pillow
- Gingerbread House Granny Square Crochet Blanket
- Holiday Hearts Crochet Afghan
- Tis the Season Granny Square Afghan
- Ho Ho Holiday Afghan Pattern
For more of these great holiday patterns, check out this collection of great Christmas crochet projects.
Join As You Go Crochet and Mile a Minute Crochet
Making join as you go and mile a minute crochet patterns can be a great idea when you are pressed for time because they work up fast with little fuss. Don’t spend more time than you need too, right? These crochet afghan patterns are stunning and bright, and they will definitely please anyone you give them to.
- Scandinavian Snowflake Crochet Blanket
- Holly Jolly Throw
- Christmas Spirit Mile a Minute Afghan
- Touch of Red Mile a Minute Throw
- Christmas Spirit Mile a Minute Afghan
One Piece Crochet Afghan Patterns
Crochet seaming can sometimes be tedious, taking time and energy that you would rather be spending somewhere else. I’m with you, which is why these crochet Christmas patterns are on the list. These afghans work up in one piece with simple color changes throughout, making sure you are done once you finish the last stitch (and weave in your ends).
- Snowflake Afghan Corner to Corner Crochet Pattern
- Tis the Season Throw
- Christmas Tree Throw and Pillow
- Christmas Wave Afghan
- Peppermint Stick Afghan
- Christmas Chevron Crochet Pattern
- Yuletide Throw
- Colors of Christmas Afghan
- Joy to the World Throw
- Christmas Tree Crochet Tail Blanket
- Silent Night Afghan
Granny Square Patterns
How cute are these crochet squares? I can just see them all laid out, ready to be sewn together, smiling snowmen and bursting poinsettia. The great thing about these patterns is that you can make an afghan out of the repeated same square, or you can mix it up with different holiday patterns in each square.
- Magic Poinsettia Granny Square Pattern
- Cranberry Christmas Granny Square
- Winter Star Square
- Christmas Snowflake Crochet Granny Square
- Bonnie’s Poinsettia Afghan Square
- Let It Snow Snowman Square
- Holiday Applique Granny Squares
Want more crochet squares for your Christmas afghan patterns? This collection of Christmas Squares is full of them!
Pixel Crochet Square Patterns
These pixel crochet square patterns are all a part of the same afghan pattern, which means you can decide what squares to make and mix and match. Or you could add one of these to another crochet afghan pattern. I love these pixel crochet Christmas patterns because the graphs make them super easy to follow and, for a lot of the colors, you can use up your yarn stash!
- Christmas Tree Square
- Stocking Square
- Wreath Square
- Rudolph Square
- Elf Square
- Candy Cane Square
- Sleigh Square
- Snowman Square
- Santa Square
- Gingerbread Man Square
I hope this Crochet Christmas in July list was helpful in getting you started on your crochet afghan patterns for the holiday season! It is never too early!
If you want great patterns straight to your inbox, subscribe to the Stitch and Unwind Newsletter today!
What patterns are you most excited to make for this holiday season?
- Video Tutorial: Learn to Tunisian Crochet - March 20, 2019
- 2018 Security Blankets Charity Drive - March 1, 2019
- Free Pattern: Irish Lace Afghan from Yarnspirations - February 15, 2019