Meet our crochet designer of the day, Vickie Howell! She is the Celebrity Spokesperson for Caron International with whom she launched Sheep(ish), the 1st yarn in her Stitch.Rock.Love line. You can learn more about Vickie in her profile.
11 Fun Facts:
- When I was 19, I had my non-commercial radio license and was a morning drive-time DJ for a Jazz station in Orange County, CA.
- I have non-so-secret dreams of playing guitar and bass. I own both, but know how to play neither. Well, except for one, Ting Tings song.
- In my early 20’s, my plan was to work behind the scenes, as a producer. I worked at production companies in L.A., and for one of the big 3 talent agencies in the Movie & Mini-Series department. Ironically, it wasn’t until I moved to Austin that I got my first gig in front of the camera, on Knitty Gritty.
- Years ago I went to massage school only to realize that I kind of hated touching strangers.
- Until I started knitting, my favorite color was black. That’s not a fun color to work with though, so I developed a love for a saturated, retro-chic palette.
- I’m a vegetarian.
- If I could live on wine, cheese and bread alone, I would. Alas, I cannot.
- I’m a mom to three kids, ranging in age from toddler to tween.
- My dream job (other than the one that I already have) would be as a talk show host (of course with a crafty influence). I love interviewing people. Seeing what makes people tick, is fascinating!
- In high-school I was in the dance company, where my focus was on choreography modern pieces. I wasn’t very good, but man, I loved it! I still have the guilty pleasure of loving bad, dance movies.
- I love to read, and I’m a huge music and movie buff.
Vickie also wanted to provide a crochet project for you. If you leave a comment in the comments section below, you can get the chance to win the yarn needed for this project! We will randomly choose three people to win one skein of yarn each. You have until 2pm (CST) on Monday, March 26.
SIZES: One Size Fits All
CROCHETED MEASUREMENTS: 3 x 43″/8 x 109cm
- Vickie Howell for Caron Sheep(ish) (30% Wool/70% Acrylic; 167 yds/153 m) Color Gun Metal(ish)
- 5.5mm/I-9 or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: Take time to check your guage/ 24 sts = 4”/10 cm in pattern st.
STITCHES USED: Chain (ch) Single crochet (sc) Half double crochet (hdc) Double crochet (dc) Treble crochet (tr)
Row 1: (Sc, ch 3, sc) in 13th ch from hook, *ch 5, skip 5 ch, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch; rep from *, ending with ch 5, skip 5, sc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: Ch 7, sk 1st sc, skip 5 ch, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch-3 loop, *ch 5, (sc, ch 3, sc); rep from *, ending with a ch 5, skip 5, sc in last ch, turn.
Rep Row 2 a total of 68 times; do not fasten off.
Next row: Ch 4 (counts as 1st tr), 4 tr in same st as ch, ch 5, skip 5 ch, 5 tr in next ch-3 sp, ch 5, skip 5 ch, 5 tr in next ch-3 sp, skip 5 ch, 5 tr in next st. Turn.
Next row: Ch 2, hdc to end. Turn. Next row: Ch 3 and dc in same st, 2 dc in next st; rep to end. Fasten off. Pick up st on corner of opposite end and rep ruffle instructions.
Weave in ends. Block if necessary.
Don’t forget: Leave a comment for your chance to win a skein of yarn to make this amazing scarf! What color would you crochet this in?
**Thanks for all the fabulous comments! Our three winners have been randomly chosen:
Johnnie Keating who said “Cute design and sized right up my alley.”
Carol who said “Thanks for the pattern. I have been crocheting for over 50 years and am still collecting patterns. I would like the yarn in any of the blue(ish) or green(ish).”
Sarah who said “I would make it in pink and give one to each my little cousins! It looks light enough to be Springy, but warm enough to keep them warm while they wait for the bus in the morning. 🙂 I’ve never used this yarn before, but it looks like it would be fun to work with.”
- 17 Easy Crochet Patterns for Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Gifts - January 25, 2023
- Free Pattern: Knit Beanie Pattern from Red Heart - January 24, 2023
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 13, 2023