Calling all crocheters! When was the last time you attended a festival with an emphasis on crochet? If it’s been a while, or perhaps you’ve never attended one, then keep reading. If you love to explore new skills in the craft, then crochet festivals and other events that focus on crochet should be on your calendar in 2017.
Why should you attend a crochet festival or other fiber arts event? The festivals are a great opportunity to meet other crocheters who share your passion for the craft. Many of the festivals include hands-on tutorials and in-person meet-and-greets of some of the biggest names in crochet today. There are even opportunities to check out vendor booths so you can find out what’s hot in crochet. You might even broaden your horizons, too, as many of the festivals also host sessions on knitting, quilting, and other fiber art disciplines. It’s also a great excuse to plan a weekend away and travel to a fun location with some of your fellow crochet friends! AllFreeCrochet has rounded up a list of upcoming festivals, so go ahead and mark your calendars. As with any festival, register in advance so you can snag a spot.
Celebrate Spring With These Crochet Festivals
Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival
Held March 24-26 in Pittsburgh, Pa., the Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival is considered by many crafters to be a must-see event and boasts a number of exhibitors. This year’s instructors include StevenBe, Marly Bird, Franklin Habit, and Lauren Sims, with many additional teachers on the festival lineup.
Interweave Yarn Fest 2017
Crochet, knit, spin, weave, and more to your heart’s content with the Interweave Yarn Fest 2017, held March 30 through April 2 in Loveland, Colo. With a multitude of classes on the schedule available in three- or six-hour increments, you’ll find you have plenty of time to learn a new skill or technique. This year’s crochet instructors include Lily M. Chin, as well as Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby, with additional instructors scheduled.
DFW Fiber Fest
The Lone Star State is the place to be this spring if you want to learn a few new crochet skills. DFW Fiber Fest, held April 7-9 in Irving, Texas, offers an assortment of classes that will be up your alley. Learn all about mosaic crochet in one class, or perhaps try your hand at Irish crochet. Additional classes in crochet, as well as those in knitting, spinning, and weaving, are also planned.
This year, make the Stitches United in Hartford, Ct., part of your plans for spring. The four-day conference, held April 27-30, offers crochet classes for those who want to learn more about the craft or build on their repertoire of skills. There are additional classes on knitting, embroidery, and other disciplines. Can’t make it to Connecticut? Additional Stitches conferences are planned from coast to coast this year, with details online.
Check Out These Summer and Fall Crochet Festivals
2017 CGOA Chain Link Conference
Make your way to the Windy City and celebrate crochet in a big way with the Crochet Guild of America! The 2017 CGOA Chain Link Conference will be held in the Chicago suburb of Itasca, Ill., on July 26-29. As with previous years, classes for crocheters of all skill levels will be on the schedule, with additional details to be announced via CGOA’s website and social mediate pages at a later date. You can learn a technique or style of crochet that’s new to you, or simply learn how to perfect your skills.
Fiber Fusion Northwest
If you’d like to include some amazing new fiber in your next project and maybe learn a few crochet skills along the way, then the Fiber Fusion Northwest (October 21 and 22 in Monroe, Wa.) is for you. In previous years, the festival has included fleece shows, as well as demonstrations, classes, and other fun events. Additional details will be posted online at a later date.
How To Travel with Crochet Projects
Are you planning to travel to any festivals this year? Then you’ll want to find a way to travel light while also showing off your crochet skills. From tips on how to crochet while on the road to quick patterns and easy projects you can make in advance, we have you covered!
- How To Crochet While Traveling — Don’t pack your travel bag without reading this list!
- Crochet On The Go: 10 Travel-Friendly Crochet Patterns — Got free time? Consider tackling a project or two while attending a conference
- Choosing the Best Crochet Hook — Make sure you bring the right tool for the job if you’re bringing your WIPs with you
- Island Lace Crochet Scarf — Crochet this gorgeous scarf on your way to a conference or event!
- Teeny Tiny Flowers — Add some flower power to your conference outfit with this pattern
- Amelia Shawl — You will love creating this gorgeous shawl
- Must-Have Travel Pillow — Travel in style and comfort with this pillow
- Crochet Beach Tote Bag — This colorful bag will be the perfect way to store any goodies you purchase at a conference
- Starlight Crochet Slippers — You’ll want to slip on these slipper socks after a long day of exploring a festival
- Mini Purse — Keep your cash and phone close to you in a crowded event with this cute mini purse
- Crochet Hook Travel Case — Stay organized on the road with this cute case