Here at AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns I’m always on the lookout for incredible crochet projects. I’m so impressed by what people can create with crochet needles and yarn. So naturally, when I saw the work of U.K. artist Shauna Richardson, I had to share it with all of my fellow yarn-lovers!
Richardson makes what is called “crochetdermy,” a new spin on traditional taxidermy (don’t worry no animals are harmed!). She crochets life-sized animal sculptures of all different species. Her creations include deer, rabbits, monkeys and other furry creatures. It’s her lion sculptures however, that reign king in the crochet jungle.
As a commissioned artist for the London 2012 Cultural Olympiad, Richardson created three lion sculptures in honor of Richard the Lionheart that measured in at 30 feet! The lions, which are the largest crochet sculptures in the world, took her 18 months and 36 miles of wool to complete. Talk about a long-term project! The lions will be traveling around England in the hopes of inspiring creativity and national pride.
Here are some more awesome “crochetdermy” animals made by Richardson:
All these crochet animal creations made me want to create some of my own. If you’re interested in taking a walk on the wild side and crocheting some animal patterned afghans I’ve got some great projects that you’ll love!
- Dog Afghan – This is one puppy you don’t have to feed, walk, or take to the vet! I love how this crochet afghan pattern is shaped like a dog. It’s great for dog-lovers and the perfect size for kids.
- Paw Print Afghan Square – Show your love of animals with these cute paw print squares. I think it would look so colorful and fun if you did each paw print in a rainbow of colors.
- Cat and Mouse Throw – If you love cats then you have to check out this fantastic feline pattern. Each square has a cat design and the border has little mice. It’s the purr-fect afghan for snuggling up on the couch with your furry friends.
- Bunny Afghan – This adorable bunny pattern would make a sweet baby blanket or Easter gift. It’s an easy crochet afghan that’ll you’ll have fun making.
What do you think of crochetdermy? Is it creepy or clever?
- 17 Easy Crochet Patterns for Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Gifts - January 26, 2021
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 17, 2021
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Baby Booties & Hat from Red Heart - January 6, 2021