I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter. The traditional granny square was one of the first projects I tackled when I learned how to read crochet patterns, and over ten years later, I still love to make different variations. I hope you’ll enjoy the version I’m sharing with you today! If you prefer larger granny-styled projects, you may like my free Rectangular Sampler Blanket pattern, too.
Circle with Popcorn Granny Square
Finished Size: 6” (15 cm) square.
- Version A: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 169 Sweet Pea (CA), 106 Little Boy Blue(CB), 132 Goldfish (CC), 157 Duckie (CD), and 108 Bluebell (CE), or approximately 11 yds (10 m) in each of 5 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- Version B: Lion Brand Heartland (100% acrylic, 5 oz/142 g, 251 yd/230 m) – 1 skein each in 109 Olympic (CA) and 105 Glacier Bay (CB), or approximately 35 yds (32 m) in CA and 17 yds (15.5 m) in CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Gauge: 6” (15 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- FPdc – front post double crochet – Yo, insert hook from front around back to front of st, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice. Sk st behind FPdc.
- pop – 5-dc popcorn – Dc 5 times in same st, remove hook from loop and insert hook from front to back of first dc in group, pick up dropped loop and pull through loop on hook.
- Square is crocheted in the round with the right (front) side facing.
- Version A is crocheted using CA for chain, Rnd 1, and Rnd 2; CB for Rnd 3; CC for Rnd 4; CD for Rnd 5; and CE for Rnd 6.
- Version B is crocheted using CA for chain, Rnd 1, Rnd 2, Rnd 4, and Rnd 6; and CB for Rnd 3 and Rnd 5.
- Ch 4, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), 11 dc in ring. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Starting in first st, *FPdc around next, ch 1; rep from * around, join with sl st to top of first FPdc, fasten off. (12 sts + 12 ch-1 sp)
- Rnd 3: Join next color with sl st to BL of any FPdc, ch 3, dcBL in same st, pop in next ch-1 sp, *(2 dcBL in next st, dc in next ch-1 sp) twice,** 2 dcBL in next st, pop in next ch-1 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Join next color with sl st to st to right of any pop (or, if you’re a leftie, join next color to st to left of any pop), (ch 3, 2 dc) in same st, ch 2, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st, *dc, hdc, sc in next 2 sts, hdc, dc,** 3 dc in next ch-2 sp, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (48 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Join next color with sl st in any ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in same sp, *(sk 3 sts, 3 dc between next 2 sts, ch 1) twice,** (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (48 sts + 12 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6: Join next color with sl st in any ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in same sp, *[(3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-1 sp] 3 times,** (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3, fasten off. (60 sts + 12 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary
From Christina Hammond, Editor of StitchandUnwind: I hope that you’ve enjoyed this fabulous and free granny square crochet pattern from our friend Marie. I am going to be trying this beauty tonight, and I hope that you will too. Be sure to post pictures below if you make one, Marie and I would love to see them!
If you need more granny square inspiration, don’t forget that we have a Pinterest board filled with all the free granny square patterns and tutorials you could ever need.
Follow AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns’s board Granny Squares on Pinterest.
What colors will you make this Popcorn Granny Square in?
- The Crochet Granny Square for Spring: The Mayapple Flower Square - May 28, 2020
- Full Pattern: Summer Marigold Granny Square - May 19, 2020
- Tips and Techniques: How To Weave in Yarn Tails - May 16, 2020