I’m Marie from Underground Crafter. I am not sure what it is about babies that makes everyone want to crochet, but I know that it’s true for me! This stroller blanket is made with hexagon motifs, so it was portable while I was working on it. Once I had all of the motifs finished, I joined them together and added a border. The hexagon motif is beginner-friendly, but the honeycomb shape will make your blanket stand out. Make this for your next baby shower or for your own little one.
Hexagon Honeycomb Stroller Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Stroller Blanket: 29” (73.5 cm) wide x 26.5” (67 cm) long.
- Red Heart Super Saver (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g/364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein ea in 313 Aran (CA), 334 Buff (CB), 360 Café Latte (CC), 365 Coffee (CD), and 505 Aruba Sea (CE), or approximately 170 yd (155.5 m) in ea of 5 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Hexagon in pattern = 4” (10 cm) across flat edges. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- CE – Color E
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd – Round
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- Hexagons are crocheted in the round with right sides facing.
- A photo tutorial for the slip stitch join is available here.
Hexagon – Make 10 in CA; Make 9 ea in CB, CC, CD, and CE.
- Ch 4, sk 3 ch, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), dc in ring, [ch 2, 2 dc in ring] 5 times, ch 1, join with sc (counts as ch-1, here and throughout) to top of ch 3. (12 sts + 6 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, [ch 1, sk 2 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp] 5 times, ch 1, sk 2 sts, 2 dc in first ch-2 sp, ch 1, join with sc to top of ch 3. (24 sts + 6 ch-1 sp + 6 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in same ch-2 sp, [ch 1, sk 2 sts, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk 2 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp] 5 times, ch 1, sk 2 sts, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk 2 sts, 2 dc in first ch-2 sp, ch 1, join with sc to top of ch 3, fasten off with long yarn tail approximately 18” (45 cm) for seaming. (36 sts + 12 ch-1 sp + 6 ch-2 sp)
- Following placement diagram, join hexagons together to form rows and then join rows together.
- With right side facing, begin with hook and yarn tail in corner ch-2 sp. Line up sts and join with sl st through back loops of ea layer, skipping outer ch of ea ch-2 sp. Join rows together in same fashion. (A photo tutorial for the slip stitch join is available here.)
- Rnd 1: Join CC with sl st in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 3, dc in same ch-2 sp.
- In ea ch-1 sp, work (ch 1, sk 2 sts, 2 dc).
- At join, work (ch 1, dc in ea of next 2 ch-2 sp).
- At corner ch-2 sp, work [ch 1, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)].
- Continue working around the blanket, ending with (ch 1, 2 dc, ch 1, join with sc to top of ch 3) in first ch-2 sp. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
- Free Crochet Pattern: Hexagon Honeycomb Stroller Blanket - November 5, 2018
- Free Crochet Pattern: Circle of Bobbles Washcloth - August 21, 2017
- Free Crochet Pattern: Simple Lace Isosceles Shawl - June 12, 2017