I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter and it’s no secret that I love granny squares.
May and June are filled with graduations and family activities, and I love to bring portable crochet projects along with me. Individual granny squares are great because I can fit all the supplies right in my purse. Today, I’m sharing a granny square pattern that is ideal for using up small bits of yarn left over from other projects. Although my sample uses 3 different colors, you can use as many as 6 for your version!
Summer Marigold Granny Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6” (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 108 Bluebell (CA), 157 Duckie (CB), and 132 Goldfish (CC), or approximately 15 yds (14 m) in each of 3 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- beg-cl – beginning cluster (see Special Stitch Patterns)
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster (see Special Stitch Patterns)
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisk as indicated.
Special Stitch Patterns
- beg-cl = cluster = Ch 2, (yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops.
- cl = cluster = (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 4 times, yo and draw through all 5 loops.
- With CA, ch 4, sk 3 ch, sl st in first ch to join into circle.
- Rnd 1: Beg-cl in ring, (ch 3, cl in ring) 5 times, ch 3, join with sl st to beg-cl. Fasten off CA. (6 sts + 6 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 2: Turn, join CB with sl st in any ch-3 sp, ch 1, starting in same sp (3 sc in next ch-3 sp, 2 sc in next cl) around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (30 sts)
- Rnd 3: Join CC with sl st to any st, ch 1, starting in same st *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around, join with st sl to top of first sc. Fasten off CC. (40 sts)
- Rnd 4: Join CB with sl st to BL of any st, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in same st, *dcBL in next 9 sts,** (2 dcBL, ch 2, 2 dcBL) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CB. (52 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Join CA with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 5 (counts as dc + ch-2 sp), dc in same sp, *(dc, ch 1, sk 1 st) 6 times, dc in next st,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (60 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6: Join CB with sl st to any ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, (dc in ch-1 sp, sk 1 st, ch 1) 5 times, dc in ch-1 sp and in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off CB. (76 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails.
If you enjoy this square, check out my other patterns on Ravelry!