Join us in helping Lion Brand Yarns put an end to bullying through their #HatNotHate campaign. Learn how blue knit and crochet hats can be made, worn, and donated to help end bullying.
October 1st is the World Day of Bullying Prevention, and our friends at Lion Brand Yarn have teamed up with STOMP Out Bullying™ to collaborate on a very special project called #HatNotHate. They are collecting knit and crocheted blue hats to be donated to a local school, who are hoping to outfit their entire student body! They need 1,500 hats by September 24th – and they need your help! To participate, simply knit or crochet an blue hat, and then mail it straight to the folks at Lion Brand Yarn. Keep reading to find out more about how to get involved and donate a hat.
#HatNotHate is a nation-wide campaign to bring awareness to the impact bullying has on children and teens. STOMP Out Bullying™, has been working since 2005 to provide resources and support to change school culture for all students. This year, we’ll be making blue hats – the color of anti-bullying awareness – and wearing them in October. Blue is the color of awareness for this issue, and also the color of solidarity. In addition, Lion Brand is encouraging crafters to make their own hats, and share on social media to spread the message using the hashtag #HatNotHate. Lion Brand will also be joining STOMP Out Bullying™ on their in-school visits, educating communities about how to create a positive school climate.
With your help, Lion Brand is hoping to create a new ‘craftivist’ movement to send the message that bullying is unacceptable. Help spread the word by using the hashtag #HatNotHate when you post your hat projects on social media to show your support.
- Make a hat using one of our free patterns below, using blue yarn.
- Share a photo of you in your blue hat and hashtag #HatNotHate.
- Let people know you’re participating, and why. Encourage others to join in.
- You can donate blue hats to Lion Brand Yarn Co.; HAT NOT HATE; 135 Kero Road; Carlstadt, NJ 07072. Lion Brand will be outfitting a local school of 1500 to empower the students to stand up to Bullying.
- Wear your hat during October, which is Anti-Bullying Month, and encourage others to do so as well.
Check out some of our favorite free blue hat patterns below!
If you’re looking for pattern inspiration, we’ve rounded up our top 10 favorite blue knit hats and blue crochet hats for you to make! For even more pattern ideas, check out Lion Brand’s list of 23 #HatNotHate knit and crochet patterns here.
Free Knitting Patterns
- Cozy Bulky Knit Hat (shown)
- Lazy River Blue Beanie
- Shetland Baby Blue Knit Hat
- On the Slopes Knit Hat
- Adam’s Rib Cap
- Chunky Cable Hat
- Cable Newsboy Cap
- Snug & Striped Knit Cowl & Ear Warmer Set
- Easy Striped Knitted Hat
- Floppy Hat Knitting Pattern
Free Blue Crochet Patterns
- Snow Drift Crochet Hat
- Slouchy Ocean Blue Hat Crochet Pattern
- Easy Ocean Shades Pompom Hat
- Denim Blues Hat
- The Easiest Ribbed Blue Beanie Hat
- Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanie (shown)
- Blue Slouchie Beanie
- Effortless Crochet Beanie
- Blue Beret Crochet Beanie
- Off to Sausalito Crochet Hat
How You Can Help: Donate a Hat
In addition to making a hat for yourself, Lion Brand invites you to make one to share! They’re collecting 1,500 hats on behalf of a local school, who plan to give them to all their students for World Day of Bullying Prevention on October 1st.
Once you’ve finished your hat, please mail it directly to Lion Brand Yarn at this address:
Lion Brand Yarn Co.
HAT NOT HATE
135 Kero Road
Carlstadt, NJ 07072
They need to receive your hat by September 24th, to get the hats to the school by October 1st. If they receive more than the requested 1,500, they’ll be able to make additional donations to other lucky schools.
Tell Us: Will you be participating? Comment below and let us know!
- 14 Crocodile Stitch Patterns for an EDGY Wardrobe - August 17, 2019
- These Booties Were Made for Walking: 15 Baby Booties Crochet Patterns - August 13, 2019
- Get Hooked On These Unique Crochet Patterns - August 8, 2019