Something I hear over and over again while teaching people to knit is that they experience pain either during or after knitting. I’ll admit that I have struggled with pain at times when I am knitting as well, and recently came across an article published by Liat Gat with KnitFreedom.com. She, too, was struggling with pain during knitting. Through some research of her own, she discovered that much of the pain experienced by knitters, whether a beginning knitter or a seasoned one, is a matter of posture.
Liat worked a well known “Posture Guru” to learn how to relieve back, neck and shoulder pain while knitting. From stretching, to rolling your shoulders, to a simple technique to lengthen the neck, the techniques are sure to be helpful for many suffering from pain while knitting.
I have tried the techniques that Liat discusses in her article and found that they really do help avoid the frequent joint pain I was experiencing while knitting. I hope that you’ll find the tips useful as well.
We’ve also asked our readers to share some of their tried-and-true knitting tips to avoid pain and discomfort. Our readers are a wealth of information and always ready to share tips and tricks, so here are some submitted tips to help:
- Make sure that you take frequent breaks! – Diana K.
- Work in an area that is warm. Lots of folks have craft areas set up in basements or garages that don’t have sufficient heating. Being cold just makes your muscles tense up that much more as you work. – KittenWithAWhiplash
- When you get to the end of a row of a bigger project, rotate your wrists once counter clockwise and once clockwise. If it is a smaller project, do the same thing after 5 rows. – Becky C.
- Make sure you take breaks, support your arms and use a hand brace. Take stretching breaks for your fingers, wrists and arms. – Linda R.
- Drape a warm rice bag/heating pad around your neck and shoulders. This relieves tension build up. – Helen
For even more reader submitted tips to help relieve pain while knitting, check out our collection of over 20 Tips For Avoiding Knitting Pain from Tension Knitting Problems.
What are you favorite tips for avoiding pain while knitting?
- 24 Baby Knitting Patterns for Fall - August 16, 2019
- Summer Knits: 24 Free Printable Knitting Patterns for Summer - August 10, 2019
- 25 Knitting Patterns Fit for a Goddess - August 9, 2019