Remember tie-dyeing t-shirts at summer camp? Recapture that joyful childhood experience by bringing tie-dye back into your wardrobe. While it’s still fun tie-dyeing t-shirts as an adult, for all us knitting and crochet fanatics, there’s an even more intriguing way to incorporate this colorful design back into your lifestyle. The answer is by tie-dyeing yarn!
Whether you choose to hand dye your own, already created projects or if you’re dyeing yarn before you create, we’ve pulled together easy tutorials to help guide you along the way. And since summer is only a few weeks away, we can’t think of a better time to start knitting and crocheting with bold bursts of color!
4 Tie-Dye Yarn Projects + Tutorials
1. Tie-Dyeing Yarn Projects: If you’ve knit up a project that could use a little color, consider this free tutorial and try your hand at tie-dyeing. As long as the project was created with 100 percent (or mostly) animal fiber, you’ll be able to transform your once-bland project into a colorful masterpiece.
2. How to Tie-Dye Yarn: Do you have 100 percent cotton yarn that you’ve just been dying to color? Use this easy tutorial to show you just how simple dyeing your own yarn can be. Don’t be afraid to get messy; this is your chance to act like a kid again, mixing colors creatively and without restraint, just like a happy child playing with finger paint.
3. Flower Power Coaster: Channel your inner 70s child with this colorful coaster that’s perfect for summer. Imagine how quaint these coasters will look resting on your picnic table while holding sweet, cool lemonade.
4. Tie-Dyed Circles Throw: This grown up version of the tie-dye technique is just your living room decor has been craving. Throw this afghan that features swirls of color framed with attractive white stitches on your sofa for an instant pick me up.
Tell us: When was the last time you tie-dyed?
- 14 Retro Knitted Throws - October 7, 2021
- How to Knit Socks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Socks - October 6, 2021
- DIY Knitted Hats, Headbands and Ear Warmers, Oh My! - September 29, 2021