Welcome to Stitch & Unwind‘s I Love Yarn Day 2016 celebration! This year’s theme is “Stitch It Forward,” and though #ILoveYarnDay is on October 15th, we’re going to #StitchItForward all week by leading a fantastic crochet along taught by the wonderfully talented Mary Beth Temple. Every day this week, we’ll be providing a step-by-step video tutorial explaining how to complete the colorful and eye-catching, four-panel Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag, shown below.
For this pattern you’ll need:
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
For a sneak peek at what this week will bring, take a look at the video below.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress and excitement on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag!
Our office is full of crocheters and knitters, and as our way of stitching it forward amongst ourselves, we began hosting monthly employee-led classes on how to crochet and knit. Our office supplied the yarn and hooks/needles for everyone interested and let us take part of our day to work with yarn and learn how to craft.
Our first sessions were all about the basics: casting on and the knit stitch for our beginner knitting class, and chaining a foundation row, turning and the single crochet stitch for crochet. We all sat around and helped each other navigate the stitches and properly hold our tools, asking questions along the way and giving individual guidance when someone was struggling. So many people got hooked, actually, that we now have a weekly “Stitch Circle” in our employee lounge, a time we blocked off where we can spend our lunch hour just hanging out with other like-minded fiber lovers and working on our projects.
Being able to spread the crafting love in such a way has been so much fun… and many of our friends that started off struggling with a slip knot have gone on to teach themselves new stitches and even complete multiple projects!
To continue stitching it forward, we’re excited to announce some fun events and contests:
- The Craft Yarn Council is running an I Love Yarn Day Scavenger Hunt (happening now!)
- There will be an online Facebook Yarn Bomb on I Love Yarn Day (October 15th)
- AND, we’re excited to announce that we’ll be running an #ILoveYarnDay giveaway, all this week!
One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books!
To enter, simply leave a comment on this post, or any #ILoveYarnDay post throughout the week, answering the question we post on each day. You will have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to check back throughout the week for more chances to win! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
How are you planning to “stitch it forward?”
- Three Cheers for Pom-Poms! 14 Knit and Crochet Hats - December 4, 2021
- The Best Fall Accessories: Knit and Crochet Patterns - November 5, 2021
- Forest Folk Cup Cozies - October 20, 2021