In order to embody the wonderful theme of I Love Yarn Day, here at Stitch & Unwind, we want to share our love for all things yarn and “Stitch It Forward” by teaching you how to make this colorful, eye-catching Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag. Every day this week, we will be providing a step-by-step video tutorial explaining how to complete the four-panel messenger bag. As you can see, this beautiful crochet bag features a variety of unique stitches you are sure to enjoy and use for years to come.
In today’s video, Mary Beth Temple will explain how to complete the top left panel of the bag, as seen below. This panel features the surface crochet technique. Although the rows are laid out in a bit of a nontraditional manner, fear not! Mary Beth will explain how to complete the stitch from start to finish. Perhaps the best part is this two-color stitch pattern requires you to only use one color at a time. In other words, you can expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary and learn various techniques by only using one color of yarn at a time!
The Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag is a wonderful way to learn various crochet techniques since the front of the bag features four distinct panels. This crochet along will help you expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary while still working with only one color of yarn at a time.
Take a look at the video below and follow along as Mary Beth explains how to complete the purple and white “X” pattern you see at the top left corner of the messenger bag.
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
MULTIPLE OF 7 + 2
With A, ch 23.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. 22 sts
Row 2: Sc in each sc across. Extend your working loop so it does not unravel; do not turn work.
Row 3: With B, starting at beg of Row 2, sc in each of first 2 sc, *ch 7, sk 4 sc, sc in each of next 3 sc. Rep from * across; last rep will end with 2 sc. Extend working loop, turn.
Row 4: With A, ch 1, sc in each of first 2 sc, *hdc in each of next 4 (A) sc, holding ch-7 loops away from you, sc in each of next 3 sc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 2 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Row 5: Sc in each st across. Extend working loop, turn.
Row 6: With B, ch 2, sl st in first sc, ch 3, dc in next sc, *ch 3, sc in ch-7 loop, ch 3, sk 4 sc, dc in each of next 3 sc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 2 sc. Ch 1 turn.
Row 7: Sc in each of first 2 dc, *ch 7, sc in each of next 3 dc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 2 sc. Extend working loop, turn.
Row 8: With A, ch 4, sc in each of first 2 sc, * tr in each of next 4 (A) sc, sc in each of next 3 (B) sc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 2 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 9 – 14: Rep Rows 5 – 8, then Rows 5 – 6 once more, do not ch-1, turn; end off B.
Row 15: Working in same direction as last row, place A loop on hook, ch 4, sc in each of first 2 dc, *tr in each of next 4 (A) sc, sc in each of next 3 (B) dc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 2 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Row 16: Sc in each st across. End off.
Edging: With A, sc around finished rectangle placing 3 sc in each corner.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag!
At the end of the week, you will be able to proudly show off the finished product:
PLUS, don’t forget to enter our I Love Yarn Day giveaway! One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books! You have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to check back throughout the week for more chances to win! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
Who taught you how to knit or crochet?
- The Best Fall Accessories: Knit and Crochet Patterns - November 14, 2019
- Crochet Hats for Men: Easy Crochet Patterns - October 27, 2019
- Dandelion Lace Shawl - October 22, 2019