Welcome to Day 3 of our week-long celebration of I Love Yarn Day 2016 and another installment of Stitch & Unwind’s I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along! Today, we are so excited to share the next installment of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag.
Don’t forget: if you missed any of the previous posts, you can find them all here.
Today, our friend Mary Beth Temple will be showing you how to complete the bottom left corner of the messenger bag. As seen below, this corner of the bag features a variation of post stitch – similar to the checkerboard stitch featured on the bag’s bottom right panel. This stitch makes each color lay on top of the row below. The front post stitch creates a two-color row, but you are only crocheting with one color at a time.
The Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag is a wonderful way to learn various crochet techniques since the front of the bag features four distinct panels. This crochet along will help you expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary while still working with only one color of yarn at a time.
And now, without further ado, check out the third installment of the crochet along by watching this helpful step-by-step video tutorial:
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
Multiple of 6
With B ch 24.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. 23 sts
Row 2: Sc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc in each sc across, change to C, ch 1, turn.
Row 4: Sc in first sc, FPtr 3 rows below each of next 3 sc, *sc in each of next 3 sc, FPtr 3 rows below each of next 3 sc.. Rep from * across, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.
Row 5: Sc in each st across. Change to B, ch 1, turn.
Rows 6 – 7: Rep Rows 2 – 3.
Row 8: Sc in each of first 4 sc, *FPtr 3 rows below each of next 3 sc, sc in each of next 3 sc. Rep from * across, last rep will end with 4 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Row 9: Rep Row 5.
Rows 10 – 18: Rep Rows 2 – 9, then Row 2 once more. End off.
Edging: With B, sc around finished rectangle, placing 3 sc in each corner.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see the progress you’ve made on your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag!
Don’t forget: if you missed any of the previous crochet along posts (Days 1-2), you can find them all here. At the end of the week, you will have this lovely finished product:
PLUS, don’t forget to enter our I Love Yarn Day giveaway! One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books! You have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to check back throughout the week for more chances to win! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
What is your favorite thing to knit or crochet?
- Three Cheers for Pom-Poms! 14 Knit and Crochet Hats - December 4, 2021
- The Best Fall Accessories: Knit and Crochet Patterns - November 5, 2021
- Forest Folk Cup Cozies - October 20, 2021