Welcome to Day 5 of our week-long celebration of I Love Yarn Day 2016 and another installment of Stitch & Unwind’s I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along! Today, we are so excited to share the next installment of the Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag.
Today, our friend Mary Beth Temple will be showing you how to complete the top right corner of the messenger bag. As seen below, this corner of the bag features a reversible stitch pattern and slightly jagged crochet stitches. As Mary Beth says herself in this video, one of the main things you need to know about crochet is where to stick the hook, and here you’ll learn just where to do that to achieve this pattern. Plus, though this pattern looks like it contains a lot of color changes, you’ll only be working with one color at a time.
The Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag is a wonderful way to learn various crochet techniques since the front of the bag features four distinct panels. This crochet along will help you expand your crochet colorwork vocabulary while still working with only one color of yarn at a time.
And now, without further ado, check out the fifth installment of the crochet along by watching this helpful step-by-step video tutorial:
- Patons Shetland Chunky: 5 skeins #24107878046 Oxford Grey (MC), 1 skein each #24107878310 Lilac Lace (A), #24107878008 Aran (B), and #24107878416 Pretty in Pink (C)
- US size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
With MC, ch 23.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 3, turn. 21 dc
Row 2: Dc in each dc across. Change to C, ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc in each of first 2 dc, FPtr in row below next dc, (sc in each of next 3 dc, FPtr in row below next dc) 4 times, sc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Row 4: Dc in each st across. Change to A, ch 1, turn,
Row 5: Sc in each of first 2 dc, FPtr in FPtr, (sc ine ach of next 3 dc, FPtr in next FPtr) 4 times, sc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Row 6: Dc in each st across. Change to C, ch 1, turn.
Rows 7 – 8: Rep Rows 5 – 6. Change to MC, ch 1, turn.
Rows 9 – 10: Rep Rows 5 -6. End off.
Edging: With MC, sc around finished rectangle, working 3 sc in each corner.
Be sure to show off your I Love Yarn Day Crochet Along progress on social media by using the hashtags #StitchItForward and #ILoveYarnDay all week long. We would love to see the progress you’ve made on your Groovy Berry Crochet Messenger Bag!
Don’t forget: if you missed any of the previous crochet-along posts (Days 1-4), you can find them all here.
Don’t forget to enter our I Love Yarn Day giveaway by commenting below! One lucky reader will win all the goodies you see in the photo below, including yarn, ribbon, crochet hooks, stitch markers, a yarn ball winder, and an assortment of fabulous knit and crochet books! You have until 11:59 pm CST on Saturday, October 15th to enter, so be sure to check back throughout the week for more chances to win! The winner will be announced right here on Monday, October 17th!
Official Contest Rules:
- Commenting on this page will enter you to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page.
- You have until October 15th, 2016 at 11:59 CST to leave your comment on this post, or any I Love Yarn Day post this week. Comments after that or on any other post will not be counted.
- Contest is open to anyone 18+ in the US and Canada. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.)
Where’s your favorite spot to knit or crochet?
Latest posts by Stitch&Unwind (see all)
- The Best Fall Accessories: Knit and Crochet Patterns - November 14, 2019
- Crochet Hats for Men: Easy Crochet Patterns - October 27, 2019
- Dandelion Lace Shawl - October 22, 2019