Happy fall, ya’ll! I’m Bethany, the blogger and crocheter behind Whistle and Ivy. My son has been making some serious crochet requests lately. Some of them are so fantastical it might take me all fall and winter to figure them out (a crochet rocket playhouse, for instance). One of them I could oblige, however, and it’s this adorable Kids Crochet Robot Hat.
KIDS CROCHET ROBOT HAT
What you need:
Medium Weight yarn (4 colors, 1 ball of each)
Abbreviations: (American Terms)
Sc – Single Crochet
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Dc – Double Crochet
Dc2tog – Dc decrease
BLO – Back Loops Only
St – Stitch
Ch – Chain
Sp – Space
Gauge: 7 dc = 2″ long
Ribbed Band- (using orange)
1. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc 5. (6 sts)
2. – 42. Ch 1. Hdc in same st. Hdc 4 in BLO. Hdc in last st, through both loops. (6 sts)
Band should be about 15″ unstretched (it’s very stretchy).
Fold band in half and slip st the two ends together, forming a band. Don’t bring yarn.
Turn band so the seam is on the inside and your last loop is at the top.
Hat Body- (Using orange)
1. Ch 1. Sc in same sp. Working across the vertical sts at the top of the band, work 62 sts.
Join blue yarn.
2. – 10. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 61. (62 sts)
11. Ch 1. Dc in same st. Dc2tog. *Dc in next st. Dc2tog* work 19 times. Dc 2. Join with sl st. (42 sts)
12. Ch 2. Dc2tog 21 times. Join with sl st. (21 sts)
13. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc 10 times. Join with sl st. (21 sts)
Turn the hat inside-out. Close the top of the hat by sewing a running stitch using your darning needle and a length of yarn. Sew the running stitch in and out completely around the hole and cinch it closed. Tie a firm knot. Trim ends. Turn hat right-side out.
Mouth Screen: (using gray)
1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc 16. Turn.
2. – 3. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 16. Turn.
Join green yarn where you left off.
4. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 15. Sc 3 in last st (making a corner). Sc 2 along short side. 3 sc in last st (corner). Sc 2 up short side. Sc 2 in first st (for a total of 3 sts induced the 1st st). Break yarn. Leave long enough tail to sew on later.
Eye Screen: (using gray)
1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc 11. Turn(12 sts)
2. – 5. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 11. Turn (12 sts)
6. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc 10. Sc 3 in last st (forming a corner). Sc 4 down short side. 3 sc in next st (corner). Sc 10. 3 sc in last st(corner). Sc 4 down side. Sc in last st (making 3 total with first st)
Eyes: (make 2)
Begin with magic ring using gray.
1. Sc 3 in ring. Begin another sc, but finish the stitch by dropping the gray, and picking up orange and pulling it through both loops on your hook. Sc 4 more into the ring. Join with a sl st. (8 sts)
2. Ch 1. 2 Sc in same st. 2 sc in each st around. Join with sl st. (16 sts)
Attach the mouth just above the 1st orange row, so the bottom of the blue dcs peeks through. Sew it in place using the tail.
Attach the eyes to the eye screens. You can sew them in place using the tails, or you can simply hot glue them in place. Be sure to put the glue all around the edge so they don’t curl up with use.
Attach the eye and eye screen about half a stitch above the mouth, sewing it place with the tail.
Make a pom-pom for the top and attach it with THIS tutorial.
Who am I kidding? I probably won’t be able to finish a crochet playhouse even if I had the entire winter undisturbed.
But The Boy has a new hat!
Like this hat pattern? Subscribe to Whistle and Ivy!
(and get a free gift!)