January is National Mitten month (with good reason, it’s cold outside), and I thought we might try something a little different to celebrate. This month, AllFreeKnitting will be teaming up with Lion Brand to sponsor a mitten charity drive for Mittens for Detroit. Knitting and crocheting are wonderful skills that allow you to give back to your community. Given the record low temperatures we’ve been experiencing this year, there are plenty of people out there who could really use a new pair of mittens. Mittens for Detroit exists solely to provide new, unused mittens and gloves to those in need – both children and adults – in metro Detroit. By teaming with this wonderful charity, we are hoping to inspire more crafters to give back to the world.
How to Participate:
Our mitten charity drive will run from January 6 until February 14. Once you have finished your mittens, you can send them to the address below. Every pair of mittens will be greatly appreciated. Before shipping the finished mittens off to Detroit, we will select one donor to receive a gift package from Lion Brand Yarn.
Currently, Mittens for Detroit needs donations for adult men the most, but they will accept mittens of any size. If you would like to knit or crochet a pair of mittens for this wonderful charity, please be sure to follow the donation guidelines. If you are unable to create a pair of mittens for our charity drive at this time, please consider telling others about the charity drive to spread the word.
Not sure what pattern to use when you start your pair of mittens? Try out of these printable patterns:
- Easy-care yarn is the best for Mittens for Detroit. We will take any new, unused mittens, and knitters should keep in mind that some of the recipients may not have easy access to washers/dryers or easy situations for air-drying mittens/gloves. That is why easy-care yarn is the best.
- If mittens are for children under 3 years of age, embellishments should be limited for safety sake.
- Feel free to tuck a little note into your pair, and please attached the gloves together with yarn, not safety pins.
Ship Mittens to:
AllFreeKnitting Mitten Drive
3400 Dundee Rd #220
Northbrook, IL 60062
What You Could Win:
Worth over $50, this prize includes seven skeins of some of the most popular yarns created by Lion Brand, and represents only a small part of the company’s charitable activities. In 2013, Lion Brand was able to raise $1 million dollars for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. AllFreeKnitting is thrilled to partner with a company so committed to community involvement and support.
Contest open to US and Canada residents 18+
One comment/entry per person per blog post.
Contest closes February 14, 2014 at 11:59p CST.
Submit a donation to AllFreeKnitting of one pair of mittens.
One pair of mittens is equal to one entry; donating two mittens will be worth two entries, and so forth.
Winners will be posted on Stitch&Unwind.com and notified by email.
Are you going to make a pair of mittens?
- How to Knit a Baby Blanket for Any Nursery - January 14, 2021
- For the Lazy Knitters: 25 Simple Knitting Patterns - January 13, 2021
- Free Pattern: Knit Throw Pattern from Yarnspirations - January 12, 2021