I’m just learning how to knit. I’ve done some arm knitting recently, but nothing with needles. A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to learn how to knit “for real.” But I knew that I needed something simple to start. So, I went on a hunt and rounded up a bunch of knitting patterns for beginners that I like, and I’m sharing them with you here in this list of 27 Knitting Patterns You Can’t Screw Up: Easy Knitting Patterns for Beginners. I hope you like these free knitting patterns as much as I do!
Plus, if you’re interested in learning about different yarn weights, you don’t want to miss What is Worsted Weight Yarn? The Most Versatile Yarn for Knitting.
*** BONUS! For even more free knitting patterns for beginners, be sure to check out the Knitting For Beginners Guide: 54 Easy Knitting Patterns. You will be blown away by the amount of knitting patterns you can complete. This comprehensive collection is perfect for knitters of all skill levels. ***
Learning to knit can be a daunting task! Make sure you have all of the important knitting lingo down with our guide to Knitting Terms Explained!
27 Knits You Can’t Screw Up: Easy Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Hipster Cowl Knitting Pattern – Gorgeous in white, with tassels!
- Summer Neckerchief for Beginners
- Ribbed Woodland Scarf Knitting Pattern
- Strawberry Jam Neck Wrap (pictured)
- Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf
- Out of This World Cowl – Beautiful burgundy and purple color
Knit Blanket Patterns
I’ve always wanted to make my own knit blanket, so I’ll be trying at least one of these blanket knitting patterns. They’re gorgeous and super easy.
- Super Easy Afghan Knitting Pattern – Beginner level and multicolored!
- Get Fresh Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Simple Striped Seed Stitch Afghan (pictured)
- Country Cottage Blanket – Stunning white thrown in super bulky yarn
- Braided Hope Knit Blanket Pattern
Knitting for Babies & Kids
I don’t currently have any babies in my life for whom I can knit, but these free knitting patterns for kids were too cute not to include.
- Ridiculously Easy Hyacinth Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
- Little Bitty Uggs Baby Booties Knitting Pattern – Unbelievably adorable!
- Cool Kid Hoodie
- Stripey Baby Sweater Pattern (pictured)
- Striped Toddler Mittens
- Kids Banana Beanie – Such a fun shade of yellow
Knit Hat Patterns
Knit hats are my new obsession. They look so cool, and I can’t wait to try one. All of these hat knitting patterns are on my list of projects to make.
- Gold Leaf Easy Hat Knitting Pattern (pictured)
- Everyday Knit Hat Pattern
- Spring Meadow Knit Beanie Pattern
- Snowy Cat Hat – Funny, warm, and super simple!
Everything Else Easy
This section is a hodge podge of easy knitting patterns that look interesting and not too hard.
- Simple Sapphire Summer Tank – Video tutorial included
- Easy Knit Fingerless Gloves Pattern
- Beginner Basketweave Dishcloth (pictured)
- Tweed Rustic Cushion Cover Knitting Pattern
- Summer Mesh Top Easy Knitting Pattern
- I Don’t Give a Hoot Dishcloth – Owl dishcloth!
If you want more super fun and easy knitting patterns for beginners, check out our collection of 14 Rainbow Knitting Patterns for Beginners.
What’s your favorite knitting pattern for beginners?
- Today’s the Day: 5 Ways to Celebrate I Love Yarn Day! - October 14, 2017
- 35 Free Knitting Patterns Royalty Would Love - August 31, 2017
- Straight Needle Knitting: 30 Easy Knitting Patterns - August 23, 2017