I’m Marie from Underground Crafter and this is the fourth post in a series of knitting stitches patterns that will help you take your knitting skills beyond the basics.
This is the last in a set of four 6″ (15 cm) squares you can join together into a decorative sampler pillow at the end of the series. If you can cast on, knit, purl, and bind off, you can make these!
This stitch is called the Mistake Rib. It’s a classic knitting stitch pattern that is often used for winter accessories. It stretches quite a bit, so it is especially wonderful for hats.
As you can see from this picture, this stitch will “pull in” a bit. However, when you join the squares together, it will stretch to be the same size as the rest.
Now that you have the patterns for all 4 patterns, make 2 of each to cover a 12″ (30.5 cm) pillow form. You can find the other square patterns here:
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
The fourth square in our sampler combines knit and purl stitches to create a variation of the familiar ribbing pattern.
- Approximately 45 yd/41 m in any medium weight yarn. I used Cascade Superwash 220 in 1915 Banana Cream for the sample.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm straight needles, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished square = 6″ (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used In This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- The sl 1 at the beginning of each row and the p 1 at the end of each row creates a nice edge that makes it easier to join to squares together. If you’ve never slipped stitches before, it’s very straightforward. To sl 1 st, knitwise, just insert your needle into the first stitch as if you were going to knit and then slide the stitch onto the right needle.
- CO 32 sts (or any multiple of 4 sts, + 8 sts for border).
- Row 1: Knit to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Rows 3 & 4: Rep Row 2 twice.
Mistake Rib stitch pattern
- Row 1: Sl 1, k3, *k2, p2; rep from * to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k3, *p1, k2, p1; rep from * to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Rep Rows 1 & 2 until square measures approximately 5.5 in (14 cm), ending after any row.
- Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 3 times the width of square) to use for joining squares later.
If you enjoy this pattern, you may like the free knitting pattern for the Ribbon Stitch Cowl.
What’s your favorite knitting stitch?
- Tips and Techniques: How To Block Your Crochet Projects - May 30, 2020
- The Crochet Granny Square for Spring: The Mayapple Flower Square - May 28, 2020
- Full Pattern: Summer Marigold Granny Square - May 19, 2020