I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter. I don’t know about you, but I’m very excited about spring! I was inspired by the return of flowers, leaves, and other signs of warmer weather to design this 6-inch granny square. Crochet granny square patterns are the perfect portable work in the progress for the warmer months ahead because they are small and easy to put down when you need to attend to something.
To celebrate the return of Spring, I am sharing a lacy and beautiful granny square called the Mayapple Square. The Mayapple flower is a lovely white flower with six petals. This square has a touch of Mayapple while also paying homage to the traditional Irish rose crochet motifs.
Mayapple Flower Square
Crochet Granny Square Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6” (15 cm) square.
- Cascade Yarns Elysian (60% Merino wool/40% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/219 yds/200 m) – 1 skein in 01 White, or approximately 100 yds (91 m) in any light weight yarn
- G-6 (4 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern ( * see Special Stitch Patterns, below)
- BL – back loop only
- cdc – crossed double crochet*
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- pf – puff stitch*
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisks as indicated.
Special Stitch Patterns
- cdc = crossed double crochet = Skip st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st.
- pf = puff stitch = (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop) 3 times, yo and draw through all 7 loops.
- Ch 4, sk 3 ch, sl st in first ch to join into circle.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, (pf in ring, ch 1) 6 times, join with sl st to top of first pf. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: (Ch 3, sl st in next ch-1 sp) 5 times, ch 3, sl st to first ch-3 sp. (6 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc) in ea ch-3 sp around. (42 sts)
- Rnd 4: (Ch 5, sl st in next sl st from Rnd 2) 5 times, ch 5, sl st to last sc from Rnd 3. (6 ch-5 sp)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, 5 dc, hdc, sc) in ea ch-5 sp. (54 sts)
- Rnd 6: (Ch 7, sl st between 2 petals from Rnd 5) 5 times, ch 7, sl st to last sc from Rnd 5. (6 ch-7 sp)
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, 7 dc, hdc, sc) in ea ch-7 sp, join with sl st to first sc. (66 sts)
- Rnd 8: (Ch 9, sl st between 2 petals from Rnd 7) 5 times, ch 9, sl st to last sc from Rnd 7. (6 ch-9 sp)
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, (12 sc in next ch-9 sp) 6 times, join with sl st to first sc. (72 sts)
- Rnd 10: Ch 3 (counts as dc), cdc 4 times, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st, cdc 4 times,** dc in next st, cdc 4 times; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to BL of first ch 3. (84 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 11: Ch 1, scBL in same st and next 10 st to ch-2 sp, (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in ch-2 sp, *scBL in next 21 sts, (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in ch-2 sp; rep from 2 more times, scBL in next 10 sts, join with sl st to top of first scBL. (100 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 12: Ch 3 (counts as dc), *ch 1, sk 1, dc in next st,** rep from * to corner ch-2 sp, (dc, ch 2, dc), dc in next st,*** rep from * around, ending last rep at **, ch 1, sk 1, sl st to top of first ch-3. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails.
If you enjoy this pattern, check out my other designs here on Ravelry!
Editor’s Note: For even more individual crochet granny square patterns, check out our AFC Pinterest board “Granny Squares.” We have collected a plethora of granny square patterns that is sure to keep your inspiration going.
Also, if you’d like a video tutorial to follow along with, check out this video on how to crochet a solid granny square to learn how to work your own simple granny square!
Tell us below: What is your favorite crochet granny square pattern?
- Free Crochet Pattern: Simple Lace Isosceles Shawl - June 12, 2017
- The Crochet Granny Square for Spring: The Mayapple Flower Square - May 23, 2017
- Free Crochet Pattern: Hexagon Honeycomb Stroller Blanket - November 1, 2016