I have two kids, very close together in age, and they are little mischief makers. One of their grandparents started calling them Little Garden Gnomes because she used to tell them a story about how the garden would look perfect before bed, but she’d come out in the morning to find the garden a mess and the gnomes lazing about where she hadn’t left them… much like when we’d turn our backs on the little ones for two seconds and come back to a tornado having ripped through the playroom. So naturally, when I saw this pointed little knit baby hat pattern, I had to share it with you all. This is the perfect project to knit up for either a boy or a girl – make it in a gender neutral color for the mom expecting a surprise, or pick traditional boy/girl colors. I have already cast on this fabulous knit hat pattern for baby in a charcoal gray and I think it’ll look great on either a boy or a girl. Really, the possibilities are endless!
Mommy’s Little Gnome Knit Baby Hat Pattern
SIZES 6/12 (18/24) months.
GAUGE 12 sts and 16 rows = 4” [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
- Bernat® Softee® Baby Chunky™ (Solids: 5 oz/140 g; 155 yds/142 m OR Ombres: 4.25 oz/120 g; 123 yds/112 m) ; Sizes 6/12 (18/24) mos Blue Lagoon (96011) 1 (1) ball
- Sizes U.S. 11 (8 mm) knitting needles and pair of size U.S. 10½ (6.5 mm) doublepointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 3 stitch markers.
- Alt = Alternate(ing)
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Beginning
- Dec = Decrease(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit 2 stitches together
- M1 = Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- PM = Place marker
- Rem = Remain(ing)
- Rep = Repeat
- RS = Right side
- Ssk = Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together.
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- WS = Wrong side
With larger needles, cast on 54 (60) sts. Knit 3 rows (garter st), noting 1st row is WS.
1st row: (RS). K1. M1. K8 (9). ssk. K2tog. K7 (9). M1. K2. M1. K3. ssk. K2tog. K3. M1. K2. M1. K7 (9). ssk. K2tog. K8 (9). M1. K1.
2nd row: K1. Purl to last st. K1. Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures approx 2½ (3½)” [6 (9) cm], ending on a WS row.
Next row: (RS). K9 (10). ssk. PM. K2tog. K12 (14). ssk. PM. K2tog. K12 (14). ssk. PM. K2tog. K9 (10).
Next row: K1. Purl to last st. K1.
Next row: (Dec row). (Knit to 2 sts before next marker. ssk. Slip marker. K2tog) 3 times. Knit to end of row.
Next and alt rows: K1. Purl to last st. K1. Rep dec row every RS row 3 (4) times more, then every 4th row twice. 18 sts.
Next row: (RS). K1. *K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. Break yarn leaving a long end. Draw end through rem 10 sts and cinch tightly. Sew center back seam.
Ties (make 2). With pair of double-pointed needles, cast on 4 sts. K4. Do not turn. *Slide sts to other end of needle. K4. Rep from * until cord measures 8” [20.5 cm]. Break yarn and draw tightly through rem sts. Sew to each peak at sides of Hat.
We have a ton of free baby knitting patterns for hats that are sure to have you new mothers jumping out of your seats with joy, and you expecting grandmothers planning out your next twelve gifts to your daughters and daughters-in-law. In 31 Unbelievably Cute Baby Knit Hats, you’re sure to find the perfect baby hat for any baby any time of the year. Cast on today!
When knitting for baby, what is your favorite color?
- 24 Baby Knitting Patterns for Fall - August 16, 2019
- Summer Knits: 24 Free Printable Knitting Patterns for Summer - August 10, 2019
- 25 Knitting Patterns Fit for a Goddess - August 9, 2019