If you haven’t heard, we’ve started our 4th annual Prayer Shawls for Charity Drive with AllFreeKnitting and AllFreeCrochet! All shawls donated between October 1st and November 15th 2018 will be donated to patients at the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago!
By crocheting or knitting a prayer shawl for someone in need, you will be helping provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls provide patients with warmth and a comforting embrace during difficult times. It lets them know that someone cares and it gives them hope of recovery and peace.
What Are the Requirements?
We really couldn’t have made it easier! Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, and weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
While we don’t have any requirements for the size, color, or shape of the shawls, we do have a few other requirements for things we’d like to see in these shawls.
- Make sure that the shawl is big enough to wrap around someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a hospital bed.
- Please avoid wool and other exotic yarns as these may cause allergic reactions. We recommend cotton or acrylic yarns.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer! Many patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so be sure to add your first name and where you’re from.
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address with your donation for contest entry.
Note: Your donation must be postmarked by November 15th for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
Share Your Progress!
We’d love to see how your shawls are coming along. Post your progress on social media with the hashtag #YarnItForward!
Last year, we received 340 shawls, and we think we can beat that this year!
Where Do I Send My Shawl?
Send Your Completed Shawls to:
Prime Publishing, LLC
Attn: Prayer Shawls for Charity
3400 Dundee Road, Ste 220
Northbrook, IL 60062
Crochet your shawl and send it in, and you’ll be entered to win this exclusive yarn bundle from Red Heart Yarns!
No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the exclusive yarn bundle?
Answer the question at the bottom of this page in the comments section below. Please note that the giveaway begins November 15th – comments will only be considered beginning then.
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you for a chance to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and will not be tallied.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account. Please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.
- You have until November 15th, 2018 at 11:59 pm CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments submitted after the deadline will not be counted.
What is your favorite comforting quote or thought?
- Prayer Shawls for Charity Drive 2018 - October 3, 2018
- DIY Knitted Hats, Headbands and Ear Warmers, Oh My! - September 13, 2018
- 24 Free Sweater Knitting Patterns You’re Guaranteed to Love - August 3, 2018