For the second year in a row, AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeKnitting are proud to announce we are partnering with Rush University Medical Center’s Prayer Shawls at Rush initiative for a charity drive November 7 to December 5, 2016.
By knitting or crocheting a shawl for someone in need, you will be helping provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls often provide the patient warmth and a comforting embrace during difficult times. Something so simple can be the brightest thing that has happened for the patient in some time, as many have often driven from great distances for treatment and have nothing comforting from home with them.
We were fortunate enough to visit Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL to learn more about this wonderful cause. Check out a video below to learn more about Prayer Shawls at Rush, including who receives the donated shawls, and how you can help:
How You Can Help:
This is the part we know you’ll enjoy… either knit or crochet a shawl and send it our way! As you’re working, think warm thoughts or say your favorite prayer. Your hard work will have a comforting and lasting effect on the recipient, because your prayers and thoughts of healing are woven into the fibers of the shawl.
Knit or Crochet Shawl Requirements:
- We do not require a certain size, color or shape. Just make sure the shawl is big enough to wrap around the shoulders of someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a hospital bed. Men and women will receive these shawls, so keep that in mind if you’re stuck on color choices.
- Do your best to avoid wool and other exotic yarns, as these may cause allergic reactions. Cotton and acrylic yarns are recommended.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you’re from.
Our friends Marie Segares and Jessica Anderson have generously donated two exclusive full patterns that will work beautifully for this charity drive. Of course, you can work up any pattern you’d like – but just in case you need a little extra inspiration, check out these two wonderful knit and crochet prayer shawls below.
Crochet Prayer Shawl Pattern
This crochet prayer shawl by Marie Segares features an easy to memorize stitch repeat, so you’ll be able to concentrate on healing thoughts as you work. Choose any color combination you think would be a comfort to the recipient. The rectangular shape makes this an easy-to-customize shawl.
Knit Prayer Shawl Pattern
Written by Jessica Anderson, this knit prayer shawl pattern features a triangular shape that works up quickly. If you use a self-striping yarn, the pattern is lively and fun. The unique sections of textural stitches not only add interest, they also give you a chance to change up your thoughts, thus weaving more than one good vibe into the fibers of the shawl.
Where to Send Your Shawl:
We will be collecting all donated shawls at our offices in Northbrook, IL and personally delivering them to Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL. Please send your handmade prayer shawls to:
Prime Publishing LLC
Attn: Prayer Shawls for Charity
3400 Dundee Road, Suite 220
Northbrook, IL 60062
Shawls need to be postmarked no later than December 5th, 2016.
What’s In It For YOU?
Of course, you’ll get that wonderful feeling by donating something to charity and helping someone in need. But, we’re also offering an exclusive yarn bundle featuring various skeins of yarn and knit and crochet books! Send us a homemade prayer shawl, either knit or crochet, and you’ll be automatically entered to win this fabulous prize.
We really couldn’t have made it easier! Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, and weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address with your donation for contest entry.
- Your donation must be postmarked by December 5th, 2016 for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the exclusive yarn bundle? Answer the question below by leaving a comment on this blog post. Please note that the giveaway begins November 7th – comments will only be considered beginning then.
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you for a chance to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and will not be tallied.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account. Please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.
- You have until December 5th, 2016 at 11:59 pm CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments submitted after the deadline will not be counted.