For the third year in a row, AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeKnitting are proud to announce we are partnering with Rush University Medical Center’s Prayer Shawls at Rush initiative for a charity drive November 1 to December 1, 2017.
By knitting or crocheting a shawl for someone in need, you will be helping provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls often provide the patient warmth and a comforting embrace during difficult times. Something so simple can be the brightest thing that has happened to the patient in some time, as many have often driven from great distances for treatment and have nothing comforting from home with them.
We were fortunate enough to visit Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL to learn more about this wonderful cause. Check out the video below to learn more about Prayer Shawls at Rush, including who receives the donated shawls, and how you can help:
How You Can Help:
This is the part we know you’ll enjoy… either knit or crochet a shawl and send it our way! As you’re working, think warm thoughts or say your favorite prayer. Your hard work will have a comforting and lasting effect on the recipient because your prayers and thoughts of healing are woven into the fibers of the shawl.
Knit or Crochet Shawl Requirements:
- We do not require a certain size, color or shape. Just make sure the shawl is big enough to wrap around the shoulders of someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a hospital bed. Men and women will receive these shawls, so keep that in mind if you’re stuck on color choices.
- Do your best to avoid wool and other exotic yarns, as these may cause allergic reactions. Cotton and acrylic yarns are recommended.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you’re from.
Our friends Marie Segares and Jessica Anderson have generously donated two exclusive full patterns that will work beautifully for this charity drive. Of course, you can work up any pattern you’d like – but just in case you need a little extra inspiration, check out this knit prayer shawl pattern and/or this crochet prayer shawl pattern.
Where to Send Your Shawl, Giveaway and Rules:
We will be collecting all donated shawls at our offices in Northbrook, IL and will personally deliver them to Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL.
Shawls must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2017.
By donating, you will be entered to win an exclusive yarn lover’s prize pack featuring various skeins of yarn and knit and crochet books! Send us a homemade prayer shawl, either knit or crochet, as well as a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the package so we know who sent it, and you’ll be automatically entered to win this fabulous prize.
For address and complete rules and requirements, please visit our Prayer Shawl Drive Page on AllFreeCrochet.com.
What is your favorite comforting quote or thought?
- Countdown to Christmas: 10 Last-Minute Gifts - December 11, 2019
- Knit and Crochet Christmas Wreaths - December 8, 2019
- The Best Fall Accessories: Knit and Crochet Patterns - November 14, 2019