While I was in the office pondering a new project to work up, the thought came to me that I wanted to try a vintage crochet pattern or even a historical pattern. This led my office mates down a rabbit hole of wondering what the history of crochet really was. When was the first crocheted piece made? Who invented crochet? Of course, this sent me on a wild chase to find the answers. Learning the history of crochet was so much fun!
The short answer to these questions is: Nobody knows for sure when or where crochet got it start. We did discover that the word itself comes from croche, and old French word for hook. It’s also possible that it is derived from krokr, the Norse word for hook. In addition, according to American crochet expert Annie Potter, “The modem art of true crochet as we know it today was developed during the 16th century. It became known as ‘crochet lace’ in France and ‘chain lace’ in England.”
No matter where crochet derived from, we love to celebrate it. From the learning process, to the cheers of joy when we finish a big project, and a whole month dedicated to the craft.
In honor of National Crochet Month, I asked our readers why they love crochet so much. The response was more than overwhelming, and we had some really great responses that I thought would be fun to share with you.
- It’s a fabulous excuse to ignore people! ~Josephine C.
- It is relaxing and I have several chronic pain issues so it can distract my mind. Also because I have an amazing talent (as we all do) that allows me to make special gifts for others. ~Janna D.
- I taught myself to crochet to help me lose weight. Sounds crazy right? But I was a person who snacked all the time when I was bored or watching television. So i learned to crochet and now when I am bored or watching television–I crochet and my hands and mind are happy and I don’t eat. With crochet and PiYo exercise I have lost 75 pounds in 9 months. ~Rene H.
- I can’t play an instrument, I can’t paint a piece of art, I can’t sculpt in clay or stone. But when I crochet, I’m making my own masterpiece! I’ve brought people to tears with my work, I’ve moved them to consider the everyday beauty around them! I crochet because it allows me to be creative! ~Sarah A.
- Simply it keeps me sane. I started crocheting 49 yrs ago when my Aunt taught me using the steel hooks and tiny thread she saved from flour and feed sacks. I love giving my projects away and have given over 100 bed size afghans away and numerous baby blankets, saques, caps and booties. I love making something new and unique. ~Sharon N.
- I needed a reason to collect tons of pretty yarn ~Amanda H.
- Makes me feel closer to my Grandmother who taught me the craft years ago. She’s no longer with me but her memory lives on in the beautiful things I create. ~Karen M.
Let us know: why do you love crochet so much?
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 17, 2020
- Rest and Relaxation After Holiday Madness: Calming Crochet Patterns - January 8, 2020
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Baby Booties & Hat from Red Heart - January 3, 2020