Did you know that November is the month dedicated to wool? Wool is one of the most popular fibers of all the animals in the crochet world. Unfortunately for me, wool is much too itchy, so I’ve never been able to wear it or work with it. However, I have seen some amazing wool fibers in my time and it’s just stunning how beautiful it can really be. If you’re a fan of wool then you might find the following interesting and fun.
Wovember only started in 2011 as a month-long celebration of the wool fiber. During this month there’s a wool along, a campaign for better fiber labeling on garments, an informative web site with articles dedicated to wool and a photo competition. When you take a look at fashion items you might see something labeled as wool, when in reality it isn’t wool at all, which is why there is a campaign for better fiber labeling.
It’s neat to learn about wool because it’s one of the most popular fibers to work with. There are varieties of wool to work with and whoever you’re crocheting for might have a wool allergy. It’s great to have a little bit of information if wool is a yarn you work with often.
Help Celebrate Wovember:
- Visit the Wovember web site to learn more
- Participate in the wool along
- Enter the Wovember photo competition
- Submit a story about wool
- Wear wool and show it off
Crochet These Patterns that use Wool:
Do you like working with wool? Why or why not?
- Free Pattern: Crochet Wrap Pattern from Red Heart! - January 17, 2021
- Free Pattern Friday: Crochet Baby Booties & Hat from Red Heart - January 6, 2021
- Rest and Relaxation After Holiday Madness: Calming Crochet Patterns - January 5, 2021